1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Phonix Award Bios on bootup?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by B_radical, May 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. B_radical

B_radical Thread Starter

My mums computer has all of a sudden been getting a Phonix - AwardBios V6.00PG page when starts. It has all the usual stuff in it about hardware etc but has never done this before? It has a "Press F2 to continue" and a " Press F1 to enter set up" at the bottom.
    When you press F2 it then goes to a selection of 2 what i think are operating systems to use to bootup. Yet it onlyhas the 1 on the HD.
    I am lost here.
    Thanks in Advance

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Did someone try to reinstall Windows? Will either selection of Windows boot up?

Also, if you go into the setup by hitting f1, then save changs coming out, will that screen go away?

3. B_radical

B_radical Thread Starter

No I do not think they have tried to reinstall windows as it is a HP package computer and they didnt recieve any of the original disks with it. The second OS is something about HP recovery console or something like that. I havnt actually tried to boot up under that one as the other one says XP home edition.
    I tried the Press F1 and then save changes method but t no avail. It still takes me straight back to the Phoenix Bios page again. It does give me the option just before this to go to the HP Bios page by pressing F10, but this goes away quickly and the Phonix Bios page comes up
    It is also trying to install windows money manager once boted but this is already installed. I can cancel it but then it goes straight back into installing again. the only way I can stop it is in the CTRL ALT DEL menu. There is also a RUNNER ERROR once booted about " could not find driver" but I accidently deleted this before I could copy it. I will post it after next boot up if needed.
    Would I be better off just reinstalling Windows using my disk to save wasting alot of peoples time. Alot of what is on the computer is saveable or not really important, but wouldnt there be drivers for the motherboard etc that i would need to do this.

thanks again for all your time

4. B_radical

B_radical Thread Starter

I have just noticed in the Bios display at the start that it says
    "Primary Master Hard Disk S.M.A.R.T status bad. Warning: immediate back up your data and replace your hard disk. a failure may be imminent.
    What should I do?

Thanks again in advance

5. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

That message is pretty serious. I've seen it about 3 times, and all 3 times the hard drive died soon there after.

You might check the manufacturer's website for the hard drive, sometimes they have 3 year warranties.....but, by all means, backup any data that is important to you. It's not going to be a matter of 'will the drive fail....' --- it's a matter of when. I wouldn't do any unnecessary bootups until your data is safe.

6. B_radical

B_radical Thread Starter

Thankyou again for all your time.
    Will get a new hd for them and install an OS on that. Already backed up there "My Documents" today.

Again your feedback was much appreciated

Cheers

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/360877

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice