photo attachments

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

MRBEE

I often send scanned photos as attachments to my daughter. We both have hotmail email addresses. We both have Windows 98. Sometimes, but not always, the photo will automatically pop up on myh daughters screen. Other times, she is required to download the attachments to the harddrive and then view it through a viewer -- which she doesn't know how to do. How can I send photo attachments and know that they will pop up automatically on her screen? Has it something to do with the size of the scanned image?

If the photo is inserted into the email itself (rich text mode), then your daughter will be able to view it as part of the email.

If it is attached, then she will need to click on the link to download it and open it with the proper software.

Also, take note of what the file is called. The extension will tell you what program you need to open that file.

The "extension" is the last 3 letters in a filename.
Example... christmasparty.jpg
The "jpg" shows that it is a JPEG file and Internet Explorer, or a photo program can open it.

One last thing, Hotmail allows Rich Text HTML. To get to it, choose it from the drop down, wait for the menu to pop up and compose the email.

Good luck.

MRBEE

phrozenmayhem:

I believe you have solved my problem. However, I am unable to follow your instructions.

Can you be more specific on 1) how I can "insert" (rather than attach) a photo, and/or 2) what icon or button or whatever in hotmail do I click to get the drop down box in which I can select Rich Text HTML? I looked but haven't a clue.

Choose Rich Text HTML and paste the picture into the small window you normally type in....

Also.. I just remembered that even if you attach the image, HOTMAIL opens it for you automatically. So you don't have to go through all that trouble. Can you tell me what the FILE type is of the pictures you're sending. Make sure to save as JPG files or GIFs so Hotmail can display it.

But here are some pics to help you see where...

MRBEE

I am truly impressed. How did you ever do that -- insert Hotmail pages? But, first things first.

When I click the "Tools" drop down box, I get four choices: Tools, Spell Check, Dictionary, and Thesaurius. Things happen when I click any of the latter three, but nothing happens when I click Tools. Thus, I never get the toolbar that you circled at the bottom.

So, I can't find a Rich Text HTML choice.

You're right that Hotmail will open an attachment automatically -- but in my daughters case, only sometimes. About half the time it automatically opens, the other times it doesn't -- instead it shows a box that permits you to download the image onto your harddrive.

I (& my daughter) are using Netscape 4.7 rather than I. Explorer. Could that be part of my problem in not seeing a tool bar?

I'll log out and back on with Explorer and check that out.

In the meantime, please don't give up on me.

MRBEE

Phrozenmayhem,

I logged off and back on, this time using Internet Explorer instead of Netscape -- and now the Drop Down box shows Rich Text Format Off, so I clicked it and the toolbar came up. Doesn't when logging on with Netscape.

Still haven't solved the problem, however. I tried cutting and pasting a JPEG photo, but it won't paste.

Still need your help.

Ok, you'll need to open the picture in Internet explorer, right click, and choose copy. Then click in the BOX in hotmail and choose paste.

Also, it may be because of Netscape that attachments don't always work. ?

You will never see the "Rich Text HTML" option in Hotmail with Netscape.

If it's your daughters and you all trust each other to give out your ISP email address then why don't you used those address. It will be so much easiers for you to use Netscape Messenger then any web base email.

MRBEE

phrozenmayhem: I logged on via I.E. (instead of Netscape). Now the drop down box gives me a choice for "Rich-Text Editor On" or "Rich-Text Editor Off". They toggle back and forth. When it's on, there is no tool bar. When it's off, there is. Anyway, I opened up a photo while in I.E., right clicked it, and copied it onto the clipboard. Then I switched over to Compose in Hotmail and tried to paste it -- but no dice. The paste in Edit is greyed out, and also when right clicking the mouse in the compose write area, nothing happens. I tried it both when Rich-Text Editor Off was in force and when Rich-Text Editor On was in effect.

There is no choice for Rich-Text HTML.

So, where do I go from here.

hewee: I will try from my ISP email address.

MRBEE

hewee: I still can't insert a jpg or gif file into an email. I tried it over my isp email account as you suggested via Netscape Messenger in Composer but I get this message: "Cannot edit non-HTML documents".

It should work in Netscape Messenger but " Netscape Composer" is to edit or make web pages.

You want to use only Netscape Messenger.

Open "Netscape Messenger" and then go up to "View" and down to "View Attachments Inline" and put a check by it.
See image here.

Attachments

MRBEE

When I read your last post, I thought maybe my problem was solved. However, I ran into another roadblock.

Following your instructions, I went into Messenger/View and then checked "Vie3 Attachments Inline". Then I clicked New Msg to bring up the "Composition" page similar to the one you attached. However, my Composition page doesn't contain a toolbar below the "Subject" bar, and so doesn't offer me an option like "Insert Image". Perhaps I have an earlier version of Netscape -- mine is 4.7. So, I'm still stuck.

What about this idea: if I could convert my JPEG or GIF image into an HTML image, couldn't I then copy/paste it into an Email? Is there a conversion program for JPG > HTML?

How about this...

Get Outlook Express. Go to Tools -> Accounts.
Click ADD and choose Mail
type your name, next
type your hotmail email address, next
choose HTTP for server type and choose Hotmail
Setup your Hotmail account in Outlook Express and send email using it.

Just simply attaching photos should work with Hotmail.

Well I have the same version as you do and it is there.
But after playing with some setting I see that the part you don't have was gone also.

You are not using HTML.

Go up to "Edit" and down to "preference".
Then pick on the leftside the + on "Mail and Newsgroups" and then highlight the "Formatting"
Now look on the right side.
Put a check in the very top box.
The pane below that put a check in the top box.
OK your way out.
Now it will ask you if you want to send HTML (rich text)email.
But if you open your Address book and click on any of the address and see the check box right below the nickname. Check that box.

Now open Messenger and do what I said.

Sorry I never had it without the setting above so I did not know the options don't show up.
See we all learn.

Also here is a link that you need to bookmark.

http://home.att.net/~cherokee67/index6.html

This is a great Netscape site and Ramona has a link to the forum she answer post at. She is great help if you ever need it.

By the way you will now see many other options.
Fonts, colors, background colors, images as background, tables etc. Just play around and see what all you can do.

Let me know how it works out.

P.S.
If you look at my screen shot you will see that I don't have the damn SHOP button too.
Here is what to do about that "Netscape 4.7 and that annoying SHOP button"

Add this line to your prefs.js file located in your user folder:

user_pref("browser.chrome.disableMyShopping", true);

Do it with 4.7 closed.Next time you start 4.7 the shopping
button will be gone.

MRBEE

HEWEE:

You guys are the greatest; and I am truly grateful I somehow stumbled onto this web site.

Following your instructions, I have succeeded in "inserting" rather than attaching photo images via Netscape 4.7. I will indeed look at the web site you recommended. As for the "shop" button -- you will have to tell me where my "user" folder is. Sorry I'm so uninformed.

Phrozenmayhem:

As you see, my problem has been solved. Even so, I will attempt the Outlook Express formula tomorrow (it's past midnight now). I thank you for your help. It was your original idea to "insert" rather than "attach".

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online