1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Photo dpi confusion

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by Gramps, Oct 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Gramps

Gramps Thread Starter

I have a dpi question. I am confused about the relationship between printer dpi and the dpi of the image being printed. If I set my printer to print at 600 dpi, and the image in my photo program is set at 150 dpi, how does that interact? Will the printer still print it at 600 dpi or what? I understand pixels pretty well but
    am very confused about this. For any help, I would be forever grateful.
    Gramps

2. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

Its as simple as:
    The printer will print a 4x4 (600/150 by 600/150) dot for each pixel in the image.

3. Gramps

Gramps Thread Starter

Thanks very much Dave. I figured it was too simple for my even simpler mind to latch onto. Appreciate it.
    Gramps

4. slipe

slipe

It isn’t that simple at all.

150 photo program PPI is more than 600 printer DPI. The printer makes a lot of dots to producer a single color pixel. That is why most graphics people use DPI for dots per inch and PPI for pixels per inch.

The printing spooling algorithm is complex. The printer can seldom get a pixel right with the available colors – especially if it is a 4 color printer. So it adjusts the dots in the adjacent pixel to give the impression of the first being correct, but then it has to adjust adjacent pixels to account for that. So even if you said your program sent the image at 50 PPI the printer would still not print pure pixels of color. In the first place the adjacent boundaries wouldn’t be perfect and in the second it would be adjusting within the pixel to offset color errors in the adjacent ones.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/169273

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice