1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

photo files will not open

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by gofiger, Jan 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gofiger

gofiger Thread Starter

For some reason most of my photo files have become locked up. I have files ive opened be fore that will not open and files that i have just put onthe pc that will not open. It also seems like more files become locked up as time goes on. Some files came from a digital camera and some came off the internet and some files are on cds. I get a wide range of error messages ranging from unknown file format to photo shop does not reconize file etc.
    I recently found a virus and removed it and it seems that no more files have been corrupted. I was wondering if there is any way to restore the most are JPEG image files. Some are family photos from years ago and can not be replaced.

2. xgerryx

xgerryx

Welcome to tsg gofiger.

Whats your operating system? 98, ME XP or whatever?

Chances are your photos are still ok.

Try right clicking one of the files and see what options are available in "open with".
    For a start (if its available) try opening with "windows picture and fax viewer"

3. 911

4. slipe

slipe

The virus might have just messed up your extensions. Check there is a .jpg or .jpeg at the end of each filename.

Also check that the files you are having problems with aren’t one or the other of JPG or JPEG, with the other opening normally. I don’t know it off hand but there is a fix for that.

Unless the CDs were RW written with packet writing software there is no way a virus can affect them. If you are having problems with images recorded on a normal CDR in the same way as the images on your computer then it is probably a simple fix.

Otherwise you just discovered reason #1,062 why a packet written RW is a lousy place for archiving anything important.

5. buck52

buck52 Banned

http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm

buck

6. xgerryx

xgerryx

7. xgerryx

xgerryx

Have you tried right clicking one of the files to see what options are available in "open with".
    For a start (if its available) try opening with "windows picture and fax viewer"

8. acraftylady

acraftylady

If the photos are on the hard drive then you want to use PC inspector file recovery the smart recovery is for the meida cards I think.

9. 911

Smart Recovery can recover Jpg (or other types) files from your hard drive, but the destination of of the recovered images must be on a different drive (or partition). I have never used File Recovery, so maybe that would be better in this case.

10. acraftylady

acraftylady

Thank you I didn't know the smart recovery would work on photos in the hard drive because the description just lists the media cards so I thought it was just for that and figured file recovery was for files on the hard drive. I guess I am confused about what each one does.

Smart recovery is the new data recovery program from CONVAR for Flash Card™, Smart Media™, SONY Memory Stick™, IBM™ Micro Drive, Multimedia Card, Secure Digital Card or any other data carrier for digital cameras..

11. photolady

photolady

acraftylady, I just used PCInspector's smart recovery on my F drive when a piece of software inadvertently deleted my photos........it works. Got all 79 .tif photos back. :)

12. acraftylady

acraftylady

Ok I see now. You can choose to recover from drive C or any drive but they can't be recovered to the same drive. I was confused because they kept saying it was for media cards so I didn't think it worked on the hard drive.

13. photolady

photolady

Yes, you're correct it's usable on same drive, but then Restoration will fit a floppy and you don't need to worry about your drive being overwritten to use it. Link is below:

http://www.webattack.com/get/restoration.html

I used that one to recover my saved games. Although, I did use it installed on C: drive because the lost files were on F drive, the recommendation is to put it on a floppy so as not to overwrite files on the C drive.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/324033

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice