1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Photo Printer

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by haniff, Jan 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. haniff

haniff Thread Starter

Looking for a good photo printer, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

2. linskyjack

linskyjack

How much you want to spend? What is the typical size of photos you tend to print? What is the largest size you want to print?

3. haniff

haniff Thread Starter

I have a Fuji E550, set at 2848 x 2136 . I have never printed any pictures at home, would always use a store.

Looking between $150-200 CDN

4. linskyjack

linskyjack

I like the Canon Pixma p6600D. It will print up to 8.5X14 and looks real good especially if you use Canon PhotoPro Glossy paper. Newegg sells it for 174 so its within your budget.

5. slipe

slipe

If it is to be your only printer and you also print text I would recommend the Canon iP5200. It has a large pigmented black tank that produces better text and is more economical than pure photo printers for text. Read the conclusions in Steve’s review. He thought the photo quality was as good as his 8 color Canon i9900, which is a top of the line photo printer: http://www.steves-digicams.com/2005_reviews/canon_ip5200.html

If that is too pricey in Canada, the iP4200 is also excellent but slower.

If you have a current printer you use for text and want a photo printer in addition to that, a pure photo printer like the iP6600D that linskyjack recommends would be good.

6. -=ZeroHour=-

-=ZeroHour=-

I just recently got the iP6600D... and it's fantastic. I do use my old hp printer for text and other non-photo stuff as it can get expensive replacing the canon inks.

7. linskyjack

linskyjack

Could points Slipe---I use my Canon 9000 for all jobs but it really doesn't shine in text printing.

8. Mulderator

Mulderator

9. Mulderator

Mulderator

Linksy--come on--answer the question!!!!

10. slipe

slipe

Of the iP6700 Steve said:
    “The print quality is better than some of Canon's previous 6-color printers and is the equal of the very best photo inkjet printers. The 4x6", 5x7" and letter-size prints on Canon Photo Paper Pro glossy media rival professional photo lab prints. The Microfine ink droplets can be as small as 1-picoliter resulting in up to 9600 x 2400 dpi resolution which means very realistic facial colors, shading and tonal variations.”

I don’t think much of CNET reviews. And if you are going to use them you can’t just look at the final score to determine which would be best for a specific purpose. If you look at the comments it is clear that the iP6700 got a lower grade because of poor text, and therefore a poor choice for SOHO use. You aren’t replacing a SOHO printer. And photo print speed is fast on the 6700 – just the text is slow, which you aren’t interested in.

Take a look at Steve’s reviews and compare the thoroughness and insights of the reviewer to CNET:
    iP5200: http://www.steves-digicams.com/2005_reviews/canon_ip5200.html
    iP6000D: http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/canon_ip6000d.html
    iP6700D: http://www.steves-digicams.com/2006_reviews/canon_ip6700d.html

For the comparison between the iP5200 and iP4200 I can only refer to several people on Steve’s forums who were able to compare them and found the 5200 prints a little better. It is also a little faster. The iP 4200 might be at the bottom of the heap for photos compared to the others, but the heap is pretty high. Photos are quite good.

I would guess your ink costs might be a little lower overall with the iP4200 or 5200 compared to the 6 color photo printers. But you do get a little better quality with the 6 color printers, and I think they are a little better choice if you have another printer for text. But you are paying for a lot of beginner garbage a competent user doesn’t need.

You have to be sure to compare apples to apples. The new Chromalife ink based printers are generally better at photo quality than the old inks and heads. So Steve’s comments in his conclusion saying the iP5200 prints were as good as his 9900 are comparing the older technology with the new.

linskijack Are you aware you can print large panoramas on roll paper with the S9000 if you dual boot to Win98SE? I have the same printer and that is the only reason I’ve kept it. There was a glitch in the driver that allows you to print banners on photo paper. With XP or any newer Canon printer you are limited to 24 inches.

11. Mulderator

Mulderator

Ok slipe, so which one do you recommend? :confused:

Oh--Linsky--answer the question!!!

12. Guyzer

Guyzer

First Name:
    Guy
    What's your daughter doing dancing on the desk? :eek:

13. Mulderator

Mulderator

No--that was moonmist! :eek:

The printer sits on a pull out slider at the bottom of cabinet.

14. slipe

slipe

Circuit City has the iP4200 on sale online for $60 and free shipping. If you were happy with the photo prints from your last one you will be happy with this one. The price is right and you won’t feel as bad about your last one being stepped on. Staples has the new iP4300 for $70 in the store this week. I think it has the printer head from the iP5200, which they discontinued. If so it is probably worth the extra $10 if you have a Staples handy.

The dedicated photo printers like the 6700 have a lot of junk you don’t need that raises the price. The LCD is useless IMO and most people who need a card reader have one. I don’t think the slight photo quality improvement justifies the price you would pay.

Go to Staples and get an iP4300 for $70.

15. Mulderator

Mulderator

That's what I did! ;)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/435711

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice