1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Photo Resizing For Email Prep/Smartphone Sending

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by Jack1000, Apr 16, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. Jack1000

Jack1000 Thread Starter

Hey Guys,

This is more of a discussion thread than a question thread. I am an old school computer guy and don't even have a cellphone/smartphone. Yet, every single time that a family member or I get an image from a smartphone the photos are absolutely gigantic.

Approximate size ranges for each dimension size proportioned might be something like:

• 300x250 for small photos
    • 450x650 for medium photos
    • 800x1300 (and beyond ) for large photos.

Anyway, it seems like every user that sends any family member cellphone pictures they are something like 4200x3500 and I use Irfanview, (a program that I love!) to resize them. In my computer training decades ago, I was told that obviously you can save storage by resizing. but also that some email programs will force the image off the screen when the thumbnail is clicked on and this gargantuan photo is shown. Yet, for my Mother's G- Mail account and for my Yahoo Email account, the sites do a pretty good job of resizing. Therefore:

1.) Do most cellphones have image resizing software on them?
    2.) Why aren't more people resizing photos before sending them?
    3.) Do you resize your images before sending them to others?

Jack

2. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

From my experience today's devices do not really need resizing software. The vast majority of time the device automatically resize large images to fit the screen ... from little wheat-thin sized screens on up through 120+ inch TV screens.

Note: Resizing an image smaller is not reversible. In other words, once you've removed pixels (to make it smaller) they are gone forever.

3. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    I don't send photos to others. I have a 90 year old aunt and my husband has an 86 year old sister, neither of whom own a computer.

1. No idea but people don't want to resize on a 5" screen.

2. Probably because they don't know how to do it.

3. I don't send photos to others. I have a 90 year old aunt and my husband has an 86 year old sister, neither of whom own a computer. We have no children. If I want to show a picture to a friend, I usually just show it on the phone and they do the same.

Grab a copy of IrfanView.
    https://www.irfanview.com/

I use this all the time to resize pictures. It is a lot easier to use than most of the very advanced photo editing software.
    You can either resize by pixels or inches.
    I usually resize by a percentage and keep the aspect ratio.
    If I'm not happy with the result, I click ctrl+Z (that removes my tweak) and I try again with a different % until I'm happy with the results.

4. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

I resize all the time .. Depends on where it’s going and purpose,
    Like print size, aspect ratio, and print quality.

I don’t think in terms of total pixel count and size …
    But the dpi quality at the end size, in inches.

For my purposes … I figure a dpi (dots/pixels per inch) of 300 will yield a very high quality picture.

Always save the original and resize/send a copy.

To resize - save - open - and resize again just turns the picture into a re-re-compression rumor.

Same School ??? … I don’t have a cell either.
    I just tell Irfanview to fit all pictures to screen, then when the wife sends me a pic …
    I can see it and tell Irfanview what size to print.

My cell phone that I haven't got yet is voice operated … Hey honey, call Soinso :D

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1225856

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice