1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Photo Software Recommendations

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by raybro, Oct 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. raybro

raybro Thread Starter

Howdy Folks... My daughter has asked me to help her have a computer custom built for her use (that's gonna be fun) and I'm sure I'll have a number of questions during the process. One of the first items she wants to get established, is what softwares she should have.

At this time she does not have a Digital Camera, but that will be one of the items she will want as part of the package. With that in mind, the next question becomes what photo processing soft to get.

I've been using an older version of Adobe Photodeluxe for quite some time and have been reasonably happy with it. The one aspect of the soft I'm not fond of, is it has it's own format (.pdd) which cannot be accessed by any soft I've found except PhotoDeluxe. I assume it's proprietary. Explorer cannot open them and even Irfanview cannot open .pdd files.

I'd like to avoid any such problem with whatever Photo processing soft I recommend for her.

Any and all thoughts on this subject or specific recommends will be considered are appreciated.

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

The newer versions of Photo Deluxe allow you to save to jpeg.

3. raybro

raybro Thread Starter

Thanks for the response Candy... Yeah, so does the one I use. I'm talking about the softwares internal method of storing photos like in albums and things like quick access of favorite photo (Adobe calls it "My Photos"). Photos must be in .pdd format to be placed there. That's the kind of thing I want to avoid.

4. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

I just make a separate folder inside of my documents and save them a jpg files instead.

Another good program would be photoshop, although a bit more expensive.

I think MGI's photosuite will automatically save to .jpg files too, it's on my other hard drive, so I'll need to reboot to see what it lets me do, but I got that free after rebate ;)

5. slipe

slipe

I would wait to see what programs come with the camera. Pentax bundles ACDSee, which is an organization program with limited editing capability. If you had such an organization program you would need only a straight image editor with layers and the like to enable you work with the images from the original JPG. Olympus cameras come with a similar Camedia program. Many digital cameras come with album making software, and the ones I’m familiar with let you take images from albums as JPG or TIF. TIF is preferable if you want to work with it as you want to recompress JPGs as few times as possible.

You could take images into PhotoDeluxe as regular images and export them back the same way after you work with them without having to become involved with the sorting problems in that program’s albums.

PhotoImpact and Paint Shop Pro are a couple of intermediate image editors you can buy if you think your daughter might become interested. Amazon usually has some good rebate deals on Photoshop Elements, which is a much better program than PhotoDeluxe. It might be best to just start with PhotoDeluxe to see if it takes. If she doesn’t want to really get involved in image editing it would be a waste of money to get a good program. Of the ones I mentioned I think PhotoImpact is the best choice followed by PSP. PhotoImpact is more intuitive and easier to learn and just as powerful, but there are more online tutorials for PSP. Elements is just a hair behind but still a competent image editor. I use Photoshop but you will likely eliminate it from contention once you see the price unless maybe your daughter qualifies for an academic version.

6. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

Get her ACDSee powerpack and paint shop pro. She may also be interested in Print Artist for it's ease of layouts.. Also, another low cost image editor with tons of features, but vastly under-rated is GIMP which is free and downloadable off the internet.

7. raybro

raybro Thread Starter

Thanks to slipe and gotrootdude. That's just the kind of input I was looking for. I'll check out your suggestions. :cool:

8. hewee

hewee

You can even get a free version of " Ulead Photo Explorer 6.0" here.

http://www.ulead.com/download/freedownload.htm

Ulead Photo Explorer
    Ulead Photo Explorer is an easy-to-use tool for acquiring, viewing, organizing, adjusting and sharing digital images.

EDIT:

I like Ulead software and have lots so tried the free " Ulead Photo Explorer 6.0" .
    It really does not do much and has ads on ot and wants you to upgrade to version 8 to stop the ads and get more.
    It did do a clean uninstall and the ads I blocked with ZA but you can get better things then this to use.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/168814

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice