1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

photo webpage

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by gooley, Apr 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gooley

gooley Thread Starter

Anybody have any thoughts on best way to go about doing a webpage of your own for photos, slideshows, and dvd slideshows that you have done for youth sports so the parents of the kids can view and determine if they would like to purchase(minimal fee). Would like to try to develop myself however have NEVER "made" webpage in the past. Is there a How-To that is fairly user friendly or any other info that may be helpful?? THANKS

2. LONGHAIR

LONGHAIR

What you are trying to do is not all that difficult. You will need to get yourself some web-space. There are many simple point-n-click programs to create the site. The most important thing I can see from this point is making somekind of "watermark" on the pics themselves. There are many people that would save them w/o paying you for your efforts.

3. valley

valley

Hi Gooley....I use picturetrail.com to share my photos with family and friends. For 20 bucks a year, you can store 500 pictures there. It has a slideshow option available. Also, there is an option to protect your pictures so that people cannot right-click to copy them. Another nice function is that you can create password protected albums so only people with the password can view them. Check out PictureTrail. A great program, imo.

4. LONGHAIR

LONGHAIR

Defeating the right click menu will not stop any more than the extreme novice. Any decent image editing software will give you a screen capture that can be cropped. Go with a watermark.

5. kath100

kath100

Hi Gooley,
    Make sure you get permission from the parents of the kids before putting them on a web site
    :)

6. acraftylady

acraftylady

I just want to comment on picturetrail. I used it when they had free accounts and I really liked it but the right click option to protect picture does not work because their is a flaw concerning the AOL browser. It's no big secret that on AOL if you are on picturetrail and drag the photo off the page onto the AOL screen it will open up in the AOL picture browser and you can save it from there. I don't know if it can be done from other browsers I just know with AOL it can be done. Don't think I go around stealing people's photos, the only reason I know this is when I was a computer novice and using picturetrail I really thought people couldn't copy my pictures from the albums. I was posting on a photo forum in AOL sharing my photos and someone not part of our group came along and took one of my photos to use on their AOL hometown page and taunted and harassed me about it for no reason at all, had no clue who they even were. I just coulnd't figure out how that could be since it was right click protected until someone showed me how. What eneded up happening is I went through the security and fraud department of AOL and filed a complaint that someone was using copyrighted material of mine on an AOL hometonwn page. The person was notoified by the fraud department and they had so many days to dispute the photo was mine or take it down. I found out they didn't get a chance to do anything because they were sending me such vulgar and harassing e-mails when the security department saw those they closed the account so all their webpages in hometown were banished also. I am just glad that AOL took my reports seriously and did something about it. Other than that picturetrail is well worth the money and a great way to share photos just know that someone can copy them if they want to.

I also use www.webshots.com and sometimes I use HP photo www.cartogra.com.

7. gooley

gooley Thread Starter

Thanks all! I'll check these out tonite!

8. valley

valley

woah, acraftylady, I did not know that! I suppose the only option would be to create all albums as password protected and only give the password to family, friends and people that you trust.

Thanks for the heads up.

9. acraftylady

acraftylady

Yes, if you password protect the album then only people you give the password too can get in and see. What happened to me was just some jerk trying to stir up a group of people that likes to share their photos. When I share photos now I sign them and use the copyright mark and the date. I know that's not full proof as that can be edited out but at least it's something more than I was doing before. I was told to see about watermarking them or something like that but I haven't checked into that yet. My photos are not the greatest so you won't see them on a Hallmark card or anything but they mean a lot too me because I love taking them and sharing them and I was hurt that someone was trying to claim the photo in question as their own. I often wonder if there is some way Picturetrail could correct this and if it happens with other browsers or just AOL?

10. gooley

gooley Thread Starter

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/220636

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice