1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

photoprinter

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by timothye, Feb 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. timothye

timothye Thread Starter

HI i am thinking about buying a photoprinter.
    iw ant to get something that has a memory card reader , prints at a decent speed and has a high resolution for printing and is a " cannon "
    what should i look for and or what are the most important things to keep inmind when buying a photoprinter .
    i would like to hear from you .
    Cheers T

PS . i am a total n00b when it comes to printers :)

2. slipe

slipe

There are two different basic inkjets. There is the general purpose inkjet with a large pigmented black ink cartridge and 3 smaller color cartridges. With Canon there is usually a small photo black as well. Then there is the pure photo printer with 6 or more small color cartridges.

The pure photo printers give a little better photos but are poor for normal text. They mix the colors to get black, so they are slower at text and the text isn’t as good as the pigmented black of the general purpose printers. A page of text is also a lot more expensive.

The Canon general purpose printers are getting good photo quality lately. Steve said this in the conclusion of his Canon iP5200 review:
    “ The iP5200 is another of Canon's 5-color printers that leaves me wondering why I own and use the 8-color i9900. When I see just how good the photo prints look when using only the three primary colors (cyan, magenta and yellow), I don't know why I need those other ink colors, or the added expense. With the 1-picoliter size ink droplets the prints are virtually grainless. I can only visually see imperfections after scanning a print at 600dpi and then zooming in really close. Holding a 4×6" print in my hand and getting it as close as possible, I can see nothing to complain about at all. For the average to the hypercritical user I am sure that this printer will satisfy your photo printing as well as your everyday printing needs. The color is simply brilliant, the prints last and you'll certainly not be waiting for this printer to do its job.”

The iP5200 is no longer being made, but the current cheaper iP4300 has the same heads and print quality. It doesn’t have the card reader though.

If you want to consider getting the card reader separately the iP4300 is a good buy and will give you very nice prints. It has the added advantage of giving good quality text at good speeds.

If you want to go with 6 colors and all the photo bells and whistles I wouldn’t go lower than the Canon iP6700. You can get the iP6310 pretty inexpensively, but you won’t get the print quality and speed of even the iP4300. The dots are larger, there are fewer nozzles and the printer itself is lower end so they can add pictbridge, card reader, Bluetooth, a small information LCD etc. With the 6220 you get the same lower end printer with a little color LCD. It isn’t much cheaper than the far better iP6700.

A way to get both the versatility of a GP printer and all the photo stuff like a card reader is the Canon MP600. It isn’t a good buy if you already have a decent scanner though. It seems to have the same printer as the iP4300 plus a scanner and all the photo bells and whistles.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/542019

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice