1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Photos and documents in random locations

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by VeraLenora, Dec 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. VeraLenora

VeraLenora Thread Starter

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2430M CPU @ 2.40GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 42 Stepping 7
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 5995 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GT 520M, 1024 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 591945 MB, Free - 497777 MB;
    Motherboard: Acer, JE50_HR
    Antivirus: Microsoft Security Essentials, Updated and Enabled

I'm working on Family Tree Maker, collecting photos from family, scanning them, saving, putting in FTM as I have time.

Only, I'm missing some photos (and other documents) that I know I had.

I did a full back-up of my hard drive months ago, and I've been going through each back-up file looking for the photos and documents and slowly finding them in random locations, one at a time, but this is very time-consuming.

Before the problem I bought a new laptop and just hard the hard drive copied from my tower to the laptop. (Love the laptop, BTW!) I took the laptop back to the store to get my new wireless printer working. When I brought the laptop home I found a lot of games and programs were missing. Fortunately I was able to restore them from disks or if downloaded the sites allowed me to download them again. I called the store and told them the problem, suggesting maybe someone besides their tech has access to the computers in for repair, and they denied it and gave me the brush off. (BTW, I'm not going to do anymore business with them!)

I also use Picasa to add captions and descriptor words and I've been using that to look for items, but when something is found each one has to be checked against my laptops current folders to see if it's missing or not.

Is there an easier way to do find my missing stuff?

How did my photos and documents get moved randomly?

Thank you.

2. 87654321

I probably don't know what I am talking about but maybe you can do a wild card search for your pics. *.jpg *.gif

3. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    Are you saying that you had the OS, programs and data copied over or just the data?
    They may not have gotten ALL folders of your data, if they were NOT under Documents or Pictures.

If you sill have this old machine, have a look and see if you can find them there, and then copy them to a external drive and then to your new machine.

What version of Family Tree Maker are you using?

4. VeraLenora

VeraLenora Thread Starter

I used Windows Backup, System Image, when I did it.

I don't know what the technician at the computer store used when he copied my old tower hard drive to my new laptop.

5. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    You did not answer my question about Family Tree Maker?

I know the earlier versions the photos were stored in the FTM data base, but on I thing 2009 and on, they are stored in a separate folder named Database name and then the word 'Media'. these files by default are in a Family Tree Maker folder under "My Documents".

The tech may have just copy across a network to your new machine using Windows Explorer.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!