1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Photos in order on windows explorer; out of order on viewer

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by marketecnv, Mar 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. marketecnv

marketecnv Thread Starter

I have 400+ photos, all are in the same order by date created and by name, so no matter which way I sort them--by name or date created-- they are in the same order. When i view them with microsoft office picture manager, some of them -- about 20, at random throughout the list -- are out of order.

suggestions?

2. moper

moper

Trying to maintain a certain sort order between programs can get aggravating. XP uses a different sort order than Windows 2000. I don't know what order Picture Manager is using, but obviously it is different. That doesn't mean it is wrong.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/319827

http://nevcal.com/eclectic/file_sorting.html

If you wanted to burn a slideshow, somtimes the burning program may reorder things.

Most programs designed for slideshows have a 'Library' feature, where you put the files in the order you want and the list is saved in a special file that determines the order. Irfanview saves it's list in a text file.

I know this doesn't solve your problem, but I guess the answer is choose which program is more important, and name them according to the sort order of that program.

moper

3. marketecnv

thanks for your prompt response and your input.

If I could figure out where/why picture manager is sticking a few in weird order, i could rename them. But i can't. the sort order for picture manager randomly selects about 20 out of the 400+ and sticks them in weird places, usually about 2-5 slides early. it shows the names out of order as you scroll through them, so obviously it's not by name. it's not by date created, either, since that is the same sequence. Date modified is all the same--downloaded them all the same time, so that doesn't make sense either. Don't know any other properties to check to see why just a few would show up out of order. Computer is using xp.

I suggested to the person I am helping with this problem to create a photo album in another program, like powerpoint or something, and forget using picture manager to look at them or show them to others.

4. marketecnv

I checked the websites you sent me. Unfortunately, that's not the problem.

Filenames in explorer order

etc to 400

order in picture viewer

get the picture? weird, huh?

5. moper

moper

Yes, it will drive you crazy.
    Irfanview is fast, small in size, and free.
    You can create slideshows in the order you want, and save as a text file. You could have different files for different shows.
    Burn to CD, if you want, or create an exe file for the show. Add music. Many possibilities.

moper

6. moper

moper

Here's what it looks like.

Attached Files:

7. marketecnv

Thanks again, I'll check it out!!

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/908898

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice