1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Photos Keep Shrinking in Size After Downloading. (Win. 10)

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by Jack1000, Jun 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jack1000

Jack1000 Thread Starter

I have a strange problem. Computers runs great otherwise. Boots up fast, very slick. There were no problems until AFTER I used Irfanview Batch tool to learn how to resize some photos:

Now, what is happening is that any time that I download any big size photo, it is shrinking to the size of a postage stamp in my Downloads folder. I don't know exact proportions, but let's suppose that I have a picture of anything that shows up in Google Images as large 1200x1000 image.

I go to save it to my downloads folder and it is showing up as about 300x250. Just tiny, tiny images. I thought that it was a problem with Ifranview so I uninstalled it and reinstalled it. Same issue. If I try another browser and download a large picture to my downloads folder it is being reduced.

Now, any pictures that I previously downloaded before today are fine in size. It are only new downloaded images that are shrinking. Why? I have Irfanview as the default photo viewer.

Jack

2. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    Have you tried ... Right click > View Image > Save as ???

Like This One .... Right click >>> View Image >>>
    Click on the image to see the (Circle +) for zoom
    Click to Zoom >>> Then save as.

Does it still arrive small ????
    Should be 1920 x 1080

I think Google has changed the way it works ..
    Hopefully, the problem is your procedure and not Irfanview.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2018
  3. Jack1000

Jack1000 Thread Starter

I think I know what is happening here,

I was searching for large images via Google Search and Bing and just right clicking on them to save them, and they were coming out thumbnail size when opened in the Downloads folder. To get the correct size, you have to do your Image search in the browser of your choice. Than, click on the image to open it. Than save it and it will show in the correct size.

I just went to things like my Facebook account and verified this the sane way. A right-click on a large image when it is not opened first on the web, only downloads it as a thumbnail. Opening the image to view it first and than doing your right-click save produces the correct size format in the Downloads folder. (Or your designated Save folder.) A few other people had this question too in the past online. The download process may have changed for modern browsers. I use Firefox and Microsoft Edge. I do not have Google Chrome installed. This may help others as well. I am going to mark this SOLVED.

Satch

4. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    Clicking on the image to open it may link it somewhere else.
    RClick > View Image ... may be necessary

5. Jack1000

Jack1000 Thread Starter

I just tried a different computer with Windows 8.1 instead of Windows 10 and got the same results I talked about in my OP. Something was changed in modern search parameters with regards to right-clicking in search results and getting thumbnail images when downloaded. You must open the photo, view the image by right-clicking to and selecting that to get it to download at normal size. If you just right-click on an image, within a search of images, without opening it up to view it, than decide to download it, it comes up as a thumbnail in both Windows 8.1 and Windows 10.

Jack

6. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    It has always been this way. Some site do use the thumb nail images and some do not. I see more and more sites using the thumb nails and to get the full image one must get to the full image and download it.
    This is controlled by the site and NOT by Windows.

Jack1000 likes this.
  7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1211903

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice