Photos lost/destroyed on Cut/Paste

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

phlegyas

Hi there everyone.
I'm on the edge of a nervous breakdown here so if ANYONE thinks he/she can help please do say what you can think of.
Here's my problem:
On a laptop computer I use an external hard drive to back up all my work. At one point i copy all my photos from the external hard drive to the built in hard drive and then again from the built in hard drive to a second external hard drive.
Those photos are my work. All my designs, web pages, etiquettes, newsletters, graphics etc. It's everything I have ever created since I first got a pc in 1993.
Now, those photos are ... I dont know. Destroyed? Lost? I can open half of the photos (the second half of the alphanumerically sorted list of files) but for the other half, I have no idea what's going on. The files are there, they take up space but when I try to open them ... nothing happens. Jasc paint shop pro says "ths is not a valid psp file" and the fax viewer of windows says "no preview available".

Please people I'm about to kill myself here. I dont understand how I managed to lose everything I have ever created. I did run Bad Copy but it doesnt replicate anything. Just the same files as they are which means they're not usable.

ANY IDEAS AT ALL????????????????????

Thank you very much indeed in advance.
Phlegyas!

I don't quite understand your headline...do you mean that you back up between the various drives by cutting and pasting the image files? Do you delete all the files from each drive after copying to the new drive, or just let the copying process overwrite existing files with the same name?

Have you tried accessing the images directly from all of the drives? And do all the images (especially those you can't open) still have the correct extensions?

On a laptop computer I use an (1) external hard drive to back up all my work. At one point i copy all my photos from the external hard drive to the (2) built in hard drive and then again from the built in hard drive to a (3) second external hard drive.
It sounds like you have 3 copies at all times? All 3 copies are bad?

sekirt

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online