1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Photos to large for screen viewing

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by scs513, Feb 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. scs513

scs513 Thread Starter

Whether emailing photos, or reading from from a CD I made, to another computer the file is to large to be viewed w/out scrolling up/down left / right. This problem does not occur on my computer. Photos are JPEG, computers are PCs.

Increasing the pixel count does not correct the issue.

Any suggestions / corrections??
    Thanks

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Welcome!

The application you are using on the other computer to view the images is the key to this, so if we knew what it was, help would be easier.

3. ChuckE

ChuckE

By default, JPG images are associated with Internet Explorer. So clicking on a JPG will open IE.

IE has a setting (see Tools>Internet Options>Multimedia: ) Enable Automatic Image Resizing

There is another program built into Windows (XP, at least) called "Windows Picture and Fax Viewer" that may also be used to view JPG files. I don't often ever use that, but I am sure there are some controls there to scale your images down if too big for the screen.

But, screw all that! Just download the free and terrific IrfanView.
    With it, your images will be as large, or as small as you will probably ever need. There is also a setting in IrfanView to only scale down images larger than the screen to the screen size (see: View>Display options>Fit only big images to desktop).

4. begud4me

begud4me

also the diference in monitor resolution between the comps might play a part in the sizing issue.

5. ChuckE

ChuckE

If the viewer is set to automatic resizing, then it won't matter what resolution your monitor is set to. The image will resize to fit your window or screen, unless you have disabled it.

In IE, if the image has been resized to fit your window, then you will see a button titled "Expand to regular size" that will appear in the lower right corner.

6. scs513

scs513 Thread Starter

Thanks to all that have respsonded . Believe I have IDed two major areas for further investigation. ONE...the "receiving" computer, I found out today is using WINDOWS 98. As such there is not automatic resizeing. TWO, in PHOTOSHOP I reduced the size of the image itself. Emailed these resized pix, but do not have a response yet as to results.

Will continue to view all of your suggestions...thanks again.

7. scs513

scs513 Thread Starter

Thanks to all that have respsonded . Believe I have IDed two major areas for further investigation. ONE...the "receiving" computer, I found out today is using WINDOWS 98. As such there is not automatic resizeing. TWO, in PHOTOSHOP I reduced the size of the image itself. Emailed these resized pix, but do not have a response yet as to results.

Will continue to view all of your suggestions...thanks again.

8. ChuckE

ChuckE

If you are using IE (Internet Explorer) and have updated the browser to version 6, you will have automatic resizing in your Tools>Internet Options, Advanced: Multimedia

9. ChuckE

ChuckE

PhotoShop is a commercial package, IrfanView is free, and faster.

10. vanillag1rl

vanillag1rl

try zoom in / or zoom out

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/330652

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice