1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PhotoShop 5.0 stopped working with XP

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by Uno Meister, Aug 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Uno Meister

Uno Meister Thread Starter

I have a Pentium 4 3Ghz with 1 MB ram running XP SP2.

I had loaded Adobe Photoshop 5.0 from an original CD a few months ago. It used to
    work well. As of a few week's ago, it does not work. It shows a message "Unable
    to load PSUT9532.dll Photoshp will not be able to support 16bit plu-ins. Continue
    launching Y/N? If I tried to continue, it puts up a blank window and frees. The
    strange thing is psut9532.dll exists in the program files/ adobe photoshop directory.

I uninstalled the program. When I used the CD now to re-install, it does not work.
    The set-up.exe does not run at all.

The issue is repeatable on two computers I have that run XP. One other computer
    I have with Windows ME, adobe photoshop 5.0 runs fine and the set-up CD loads fine
    also.

My theory is that there was an recent update to XP lately that caused this incompatibility?

Out of ideas and confused! I would like to photo editing back without spending a
    lot for an upgrade.

2. slipe

slipe

I would download a good copy of the DLL and replace all instances of it on your computer after a full search. Keep the old ones in the recycle bin so you at least can trace where they came from and restore them if other programs have problems. There are many sites like this: http://www.dlldump.com/download-dll-files_new.php/dllfiles/P/Psut9532.dll/3.0.42/download.html

Windows has a sharing system for utility files like DLLs. It should be a simple matter of the first program that installs a particular file being the only repository and other programs share that one. It never seems to work exactly as I anticipate. Photoshop may or may not be using the one in the folder. And that DLL might or might not have been removed and reloaded when you uninstalled and reinstalled the program. Another approach is to uninstall, remove the Photoshop folder and then reinstall. That will probably put a good version of the DLL on the computer.

It would also seem that a DLL starting with ps would be used only for Photoshop. That is probably true but you can’t count on that either. Search didn’t’ find it on my C drive at all, so CS must be using a different method of running 16 bit.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/489532

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice