1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

photoshop 7 & Windows XP

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by ppollock, Jul 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ppollock

ppollock Thread Starter

whenever i use the eraser in photoshop 7, the system hangs./freezes. I checked their website and see that system freeze with XP is a known problem; followed their incredibly long list of possible solutions and the sytem still freezes. any suggestions? or another program to use for simple editing?
    Thanks
    Paul

2. wanabe_buck

wanabe_buck Guest

Without checking there site to see what they say...

Have you tried uninstall then reinstall

I have PS7 on an XP Home machine with no trouble

buck

3. slipe

slipe

If you are using a large brush for the eraser you are just running out of RAM and it is freezing while it writes to the hard drive. Check on how much RAM you allow Photoshop to take. Keep in mind that it takes only the percent of “available” RAM that you designate, so RAM that is already being used is not counted and continues to be used by programs that are already using it.

Set Photoshop to take at least 80% of your RAM and close down anything you don’t need before opening it. If you have less than 512Mb RAM use a smaller brush when you erase on a large image file.

I have no problems at all with PS7 on XP but I have a Gig of RAM. I did run it out or RAM occasionally when I had only 512Mb when I used a very large brush and used it on a large area. But I was also using 30Mb+ images. I actually did run myself out or RAM with a Gig while working on a 200+Mb file for a museum display, but I don’t usually work on files that large. But the indications are always the same – everything freezes while it writes to the scratch disk.

4. ppollock

ppollock Thread Starter

i tried uninstall and re-installing....same freeze

I will reset the RAM to a larger number and see what happens. Thanks for the advice.

if it doesn't work, I shall be back!

5. ppollock

ppollock Thread Starter

tried all the suggestions mentioned scratch disk to second hard drive; set RAM to 85%; used small brush for eraser; file I am editing is only about 2.7 MB (it is a scanned document with text only). I can erase maybe one line or its equivalent before the system freezes.

I am running windows Professional XP on Pentium 4; 224 MB RAM; 60GB hard drive with not too much data already on the drive.

Any suggestions on what else I might do to get this working?

Thanks

6. wanabe_buck

wanabe_buck Guest

Howdy
    How about adding some RAM...isn't 256 about the minimum for XP to run reliably...bound to help Photoshop as well

Does Photoshop freeze if you use the eraser tool on a normal 2 or 3 MB image?

just a thought

buck

7. ppollock

ppollock Thread Starter

thanks for the advice about the RAM. I will increase it.

And interesting that you asked about a smaller image--i scanned in a new page, smaller in content than the previous 2 images I have been working on; and no freezing.

let me know if you have any other good insights.

Paul

8. wanabe_buck

wanabe_buck Guest

Just thinking out loud...

I would definitely go for some more RAM if you can

Is this the first time this has happened?
    Have you successfully use the eraser tool on files this large before?

Do you have a regular image...instead of a scan... on your drive that is that big to try

9. slipe

slipe

When you say it is freezing – does it just freeze for a while and go back to normal or is it a freeze that requires a program shutdown? If it is just freezing for a period of time and your hard drive light is on I don’t think there is any doubt you are running out of RAM.
    A way you can check for sure is to open the image you were getting the lockups with. Set your eraser brush size to 10 pixels and erase some stuff. If it still locks you might have another problem. If it doesn’t you just have to work with smaller files or brushes until you get more RAM.

10. ppollock

ppollock Thread Starter

the freeze is permanent, and requires a shutdown. the hard drive doe snot show any activity at all when it locks.

i purchased more RAM yesterday, now running 512MB. I have tried the eraser at very small pixels (3 or so) and so far no freeze; but the files I have used so far hav eonly been small ones (maybe 600kb); so far no freezes. the big test wil come tomorrow ehn i have some data to scan in and work on it.

i shall be back with good or bad news

i also put the scratch to my second hard drive; and the amount of ram assigned to photoshop to about 90%.......maybe that helped too.

Thanks

11. slipe

slipe

I think 90% is fine for Photoshop with 512Mb RAM. You might have problems scanning a photo at high resolution though. If you have to use the swap file the scanner slows considerably.

You should be able to use a MUCH larger brush than that. My problems came using a 200 pixel brush on a 32Mb image. It shouldn’t stay locked. It sounds like your problem is different from what I was experiencing.

Hopefully moving the scratch disk will eliminate the requirement to restart the program if you run yourself out of RAM. You can have Photoshop use both drives for the scratch disk. Make the first one on your second drive and then the next one on your primary drive. And make sure the partitions have lots of free space. Photoshop uses the scratch disk even when you aren’t using up the RAM.

12. ppollock

ppollock Thread Starter

will do, the two scratch drives. thanks for the help

13. ppollock

ppollock Thread Starter

still erratic with photoshop. Sometimes, no problems in editing a scanned image (especially using the ersaer to touch up the doucment), and then on occasion, evne with a very small file, while using the cursor the system freezes. Today I scanned in a colored image, = 155kb (small ID card); then took out the green color of the original to make it a balck andwhite document (=80kb); then saved it; then started to use the eraser to touch up the blotch marks, and the system freezes.

Pentium 4
    PC
    512 MB RAM
    80% assigned to photoshop
    scratch on second hard drive (filing system on main drive = NTFS & on second hard drive (used to keep my data)=FAT32....is that a problem?)

same program on laptop, with 356MB RAM, and the system never freezes even with the same images dragged over via my LAN.

Any suggestions??????????????

14. tRYp_onE

tRYp_onE

i had the same problems as you and my system has 256mb of ram, and XP steals some that ram and a 40GB hard drive. i read on another forum to delete one of your extensions, go C:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop 7.0\Plug-Ins\Adobe Photoshop Only\Extensions, and there should be three files to choose from, i cant tell you which one to delete because i forgot what it was when i did it myself, but i can tell you which ones NOT to, and they are "Fastcore" and "multi proccessor support", so what ever the other one is delete it, it solved my problems. I also cranked up the ram i assign to photoshop to 100% and i'm not sure if having my scratch disk set to the same one as XP is causing problems, but i have been editing a 70mb file and the brush is a bit slow but its not crashing my system anymore. P.S can anyone tell me if i got another 40gb HD and used it for a scratch disk, would it speed up my use of my brush? cos presently i only have a 3GB spare disk and am running photoshops scratch disk and XP on the same 40Gb one.

15. ppollock

ppollock Thread Starter

thanks for the reply and added suggestion. I will defintiely give it a try, and let you know. Since I had no success before, i actually gave up on Photoshop and tried using Jasc paintshop pro; it works okay, but I was more familiar with Photoshop. I will re-install Photoshop, give it another try.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/151300

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice