Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Photoshop Color Replacement Problems

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Noyb 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm not certain whether this question should be asked in the Web Design category of this forum, or in the Photographic category, but as I am encountering this problem while attempting to create a logo for my website, this category seemed the logical choice. Please move if necessary.

I recently purchased and downloaded a tree vector graphic from a well known stock photography site. The tree design is a mostly single shade of green for trunk, branches and root system, with the leaves an assortment of green, yellow, red, and blue shades.

What I would like is to make the entire tree one single dark shade of mauve, and then to pick out a few individual leaves in specific red, blue and yellow shades so as to match the color scheme of my website.

To this end I have been using the color replacement tool in Photoshop to color the tree mauve. The problem is that using this tool I seem unable to achieve just one single shade of mauve over the entire tree, as the original underlying colors apparently affect the new dark mauve replacement color, making it a lighter shade over the green trunk, branches and root system, with the darker shades of mauve only appearing where the underlying leaves are perhaps red, blue, yellow.

After much frustration and then some research I have come to realize that Photoshop is taking my new chosen shade of dark mauve, mixing it with the original underlying color so as to create a totally new shade.

I also discovered that when trying to make a green leaf red, that retouching with red makes an unwanted color, and that only by picking colors at random and adding them in trial and error was I was able to create a red tone, although not necessarily the shade I'd like.

Is there any quick way for me to make the entire tree just one chosen shade of dark mauve, regardless of the original underlying colors and without me having to mess around for endless hours and possibly end up no nearer to a solution?

If no, is there any program I can use that will allow me to enter the starting color rgba or # code of let's say the green color of the trunk, branches and root system of my tree vector, together with the shade I would like to change it to, and for it to tell me the necessary color to add in order to achieve this, or, a table of information that details what color to add to an existing color in order to create a totally new shade?

If no again, would I be able to complete this task any more successfully in Gimp, Fireworks, or any other program you can think of?

I hope all this makes sense, and that someone is able to offer me some constructive advice.

See less See more
#2 ·
I will move to digital photography forum, as its more about using photoshop to achieve the results you are after

whats the format of the logo - you are using
jpg, png, gif

its been a while since I used photoshop for anything like this
But I would suggest making a copy layer
and then using one of the lasso tools - magnetic with + and - adding to the selection - then you should be able to fill that selection with your colour
i suspect however you are looking to keep the texture otherwise it would be very flat

however,
would hue & satuation achive what you are after
http://www.photoshopphotography.com/change-leaf-colors-with-adobe-photoshop/

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply. The logo is downloaded as a jpg. Actually, there isn't that much in the way of texture anyway, so I'll certainly give what you suggest a try. Perhaps other suggestions might be forthcoming as more members view the question. I have read more articles about digital color mixing, some even including algorithms which can help work out how one color added to another affects the outcome, but it still doesn't really make much sense to me. I even tried experimenting further with the color replace tool and a selection of colors and managed to make some progress, but not really understanding how and why this does or does not achieve the desired results is not a great way to move forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.