Photoshop crashes with NVIDIA Quadro M1200 GPU enabled

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Mietz

The Dell support team tried to help me with this issue but so far with no success. They remotely ran some tests and diagnostics, all came back fine, and updated all drivers.
Maybe you can help me or have an idea or can direct me to another site?

Photoshop crashes on my Dell 5520 Precision Laptop (Windows 10) - There's a conflict with the GPU (NVIDIA Quadro M1200). It’s not a Photoshop issue. I ran several versions. Always the same, and I have no issue running PS on my Surface Pro 7.

Here's what happens.

1. Photoshop hangs up. I can't do anything.

2. After a few minutes or a minute, but not immediately, this error message shows up:
21-10-07 5520 issue (14)a.jpg

Unable to communicate with Display Driver

3. After a little while, if I let the computer sit for a few minutes, I get another message and the blue screen of death with the following message (again, please see below)
22-11-19 final crash-a.jpg
Stop code: VIDEO_DXGKRNL_FATAL_ERROR

The machine runs stable with the NVIDIA Quadro M1200 disabled. But when I disable the NVIDIA graphics unit, it runs slower, and I have to slow down sketching in Photoshop.

I don't know when this problem started. It must have happened with some Windows or Dell update some months back.

I also depend on the scrubby zoom function in Photoshop. It's much slower with the NVIDIA GPU disabled.

Here's my workaround: I go to Photoshop and keep working in Photoshop, it will run fine, but I can't take breaks. I have to keep working on it. The program might hang up if I jump to another app, like Chrome or InDesgin, and spend too much time away from Photoshop (maybe a couple of minutes is too much). That also happens when I take a coffee break from the computer.

The computer doesn't always fall asleep with Photoshop, or it might hang up Photoshop.

I suspect some issue between Dell sleep function and may be an incompatibility of some sort.

A year ago, I tried to fix the falling-asleep issue with Dell, and it seemed to work at first, but then I noticed it again. I gave up on it because it doesn't affect my work. It's just a safety issue for me.

Closing the lid does the trick.

Unfortunately, I can't emulate the problem with precision. It just happens. Photoshop hangs itself up. After it happens, I need to do a restart. If it happens too often, I have to disable the graphic card in the Device Manager and work in slow motion. Very annoying.

I also wondered if the computer or graphic card gets too hot, but I have a cooling pad and noticed the problem even when I hadn't done much work, and the computer was still cold.

Do you have any suggestions?

I appreciate your help in advance or for directing me to the right place.

I'm working with 16 GB of RAM

4 GB Graphics Unit

I' am also pasting a few screenshots of the issue below.

Why doesn't the GPU not show up here>
Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.9
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro, 64 bit, Build 19041, Installed 20200718081622.000000-300
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7820HQ CPU @ 2.90GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 158 Stepping 9, CPU Count: 8
Total Physical RAM: 16 GB
Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics 630, 1024 MB
Hard Drives: C: 236 GB (63 GB Free); E: 3725 GB (1967 GB Free);
Motherboard: Dell Inc. 0X41RR, ver A07, s/n /4QBLNN2/CNCMK008840279/
System: Dell Inc., ver DELL - 1072009, s/n 4QBLNN2
Antivirus: Webroot SecureAnywhere, Enabled and Updated

21-11-28 display adapter.jpg

Attachments

First thing to do with compatibility issues is to go to the GPU manufacturer's site and download their driver. It is not the same as the one supplied by MS via Windows Updates and often work better.

Mietz

@ lunarlander. Thank you for the suggestion. I went to NVIDIA's site and tried to find the driver for NVIDIA Quadro M1200. Finding a driver for my GPU turned out to be difficult and too technical on their site.

(Really NVIDIA, you have the worst site I have been on in a long while. And no help, like a chat or something. I just want to download a driver - how can that be difficult.)
I tried to find help in the forum, I haven't posted yet, but found someone with a similar issue, also with a Dell, and that person was told "Please tell me you are using the Intel and NVIDIA Driver that was issued from DELL and DELL only. https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/product-support/product/precision-15-5520-laptop/drivers ".
So I went back to Dell. There I was told that their M1200 driver is no recommended for my system.
21-11-29 Dell doesn't recommend M1200 driver-a.jpg

I believe the problem started with some Windows update some while back. For the benefit of others that might have a similar issue, I will try to disable the Intel Power Management Driver. I stumbled over this article and maybe that'll clear my problem.
If it works, I hope to remember to come back and post it here.

Couriant

James
As a Dell shop, I am too verse with their practices. They will avoid it as a hardware issue if there is a hint of software to be the cause.

As to that link, unless you made changes F8 will not work. You will need to go to Safe Mode by making the setting change in Windows to boot to Safe Mode.

If you are able to, I would recommend backing up your data and then do a clean install of Windows, followed by installing all the drivers needed (Dell has Dell Command Update that will download all Dell drivers needed) and then only install Photoshop and see if you get the same issue and if you do, then more than likely the issue is with the video card and not the driver.

I think this is the driver you want from Nvidia:

https://www.nvidia.com/Download/driverResults.aspx/183584/en-us

Version: R470 U6 (472.47) WHQL
Release Date: 2021.11.10

To find it yourself, go to Nvidia.com -> under Drivers, click All Nvidia Drivers.
Then select:
Product Type: RTX/Quadro Series
Product Series: Quadro Series (Notebooks)
Product: Quadro M1200
Download Type: Production Branch / Studio
Language: English

then click Search

Last edited:

Mietz

Thank you all for your help and replies! I fixed the problem - if it doesn't stick I will report back. Here's what I did:

I fixed my computer issue of constant crashes when working in Photoshop with an article from Nick Davis on Techwalla.
When working on my DELL Precision 5520 laptop while running Photoshop the computer often but irregularly crashed and I received two error messages:

Unable to communicate with Display Driver. The application must close.
Error Code 2
Would you like to visit http://www.nvidia.com/page/support.html for help?
NVIDIA Open GL Driver

Don’t waste your time. Nvidia has the worst site and support I have had experienced in the last decade.
And ultimately the Blue Screen of Death with the following information and a QR code.

Your device ran into a problem and needs to restart.
We are just collecting some error info, and then we’ll restart for you.
For more information about this issue and possible fixes visit
https://www.windows.com/stopecode
Stop code: VIDEO_DXGKRNL_FATAL_ERROR

Neither Nvidia (useless!) nor Windows-stop-code site information helped me further.

I also had one Dell technician working on it, due to an extended warranty. Her suggestion was to reinstall the NVIDIA driver. That didn’t do it. And then to have the machine send in and reinstall the OS. Thank you very much, but no. That would have been time-consuming, and expensive (loss of billable hours)

What helped me at the end was an article from Nick Davis on Techwalla.
He wrote
The Intel Power Management Driver is a Windows operating system control program that manages your Intel processor-based computer's power consumption. When your computer is in an "idle" state, the driver can be set to shut off your computer's Intel processor, the hard drive and other attached hardware. The Intel Power Management Driver was automatically installed on your computer, regardless of what type of processor is in your computer, when Windows updated to Service Pack 3. This driver conflicts with AMD and other processor brands. To solve the hardware/software conflict, you have to disable the Intel Power Management Driver.”
https://www.techwalla.com/articles/how-to-disable-the-intel-power-management-driver

That also explains while the computer usually crashed when Photoshop was idle and I was doing something in another app. If I kept working in Photoshop without interruption it was running fine. I explained all this to Dell and sent them screenshots and other helpful information, that nobody ever read. Although I was dealing with a real person, it could have been a poorly written AI app.

In this article, Nick Davis suggests several steps, including starting in Safe Mode to rename a certain Intel power management file. Those steps didn’t work on my computer and it turned out to be unnecessary. If you are the administrator you can just go to the file intelppm.sys and rename it. Here’s the path to the file:
C:\Windows\System32\drivers
In this folder, find this file “intelppm.sys”. As per Nick Davis’s suggestion, I changed its name to XXXintelppm.sys. This puts the file to the bottom of the folder and I assume renders it useless for the system.

For changing its name you have to work around the TrustedInstaller which prevents it from renaming. (Really? Windows, NVIDIA, DELL could you throw another rock in my path?).
For that, I followed the second instructions and this link (The first suggestions didn’t work for me)
https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-get-permission-from-trustedinstaller-in-windows-10-4780469
In summary> I right-clicked on the file, and went to Properties, then to the Security tab, then to the Advanced menu button, and then changed the Owner. I had to punch in another name. I think any name might have worked. I don’t remember anymore every step.

But finally, the system works again. Thank you so much Nick Davis from Techwalla!!!

I’m running Windows10. 16GB RAM. Dell Precision 5520 with touchscreen. 4GB graphics unit NVIDIA Quadro M1200.

Last edited:

Mietz

I think this is the driver you want from Nvidia:

https://www.nvidia.com/Download/driverResults.aspx/183584/en-us

Version: R470 U6 (472.47) WHQL
Release Date: 2021.11.10

To find it yourself, go to Nvidia.com -> under Drivers, click All Nvidia Drivers.
Then select:
Product Type: RTX/Quadro Series
Product Series: Quadro Series (Notebooks)
Product: Quadro M1200
Download Type: Production Branch / Studio
Language: English

then click Search
Thank you! I don't know why I couldn't find that information. I found their site difficult and their information threw me off.

Mietz

OK, 8 hours later, and I'm back at square one. I had another crash.

I opened a Photoshop file I let it hang in the background. I did some other stuff, mainly on the internet. Music was running over Bluetooth as usual. I went back to the Photoshop file once in a while. At some more extended break, I got back, and Photoshop was frozen. Task Manager told me it's not responding. I shut it down, and then, some minutes later, BSOD, as shown above.

I will do what Couriant suggested above, a clean reinstall. Well, I let DELL deal with it.

@ moderator - I'm unsure if my wrongful enthusiasm for the alleged fix or hack should stay on this forum. I would be okay with you deleting this thread before other users are let astray by my post. Thanks

Couriant

James
No worries, the fix sounded like a good one.

I assume you did install the latest power management/software prior to the unsuccessful attempt?

Mietz

Thanks. I just passed your suggestion on to DELL and see if they want to send me a link to the appropriate download for the latest power/management software. They also dispatched a box to have the computer sent to them.

Couriant

James
Sounds like they will replace the motherboard so you have a new video card.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online