Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Photoshop CS5 Open GL disabled... strange

5K views 19 replies 4 participants last post by  Matts3D 
#1 ·
Hi,
I use to have OpenGL enabled in Photoshop forever.
Since 2 months, OpenGL is disabled and grayed out telling me that graphic accelearation in unabled, etc... and I tried everything to fix it.
Update Card driver, reset Photoshop preferences, delete Photoshop folders in my User's Folders etc...

The only way I can make it work, is by resetting the workspace to its default settings.
I quit Photoshop, restart it, now OpenGl is enabled.

If I move a tool window, let's say the Swatches pallet, OpenGL still works.
If I quit Photoshop, restart it, OpenGL is now unabled.

I work with to monitors and I normally put all my tools on my second monitor.

I'va tried everything that I could, but it's not working.

Anyone can help me with this?

Thank you!

See less See more
#4 ·
Try uninstalling the latest plug-ins. One of your plugins might be incompatible with the GL layer, so Photoshop disables it while it's running.

Just a WAG, but worth a try.

Also, try turning off or down your video "acceleration" , just for troubleshooting purposes.

I have also had trouble with the later Wacom drivers. The most stable version, for Intuos tablets. is 4.77.

YMMV

#5 ·
I have no plugins installed, but I have a Wacom tablet.
Thing is, 2 of my colleagues have exactly the same computer and softwares, but don't have any problems.
I have another colleague on another floor that has the same problem as me with different computer and softwares...
But he has a Wacom tablet... I'll try some tests with that i guess.

#7 ·
Before trying to roll back the drivers/software, you must first go into add/remove programs, and uninstall. Make sure the USB cable to the tablet is unplugged. Then, you must restart Windows, go into device manager, and remove the device, if it still shows up. Then, restart Windows again, and install your chosen version. Then, plug the tablet back in, and Windows will detect it.

I know, it's a PITA. But the newer Wacom drivers are buggy, and have been known to cause problems.

#9 ·
Before you do anything, I want you to unplug your tablet, and fire up Photoshop, and see if OpenGL is still disabled. Before you go through the whole rigamarole of reinstalling the drivers.

#10 ·
Before you do anything, I want you to unplug your tablet, and fire up Photoshop, and see if OpenGL is still disabled. Before you go through the whole rigamarole of reinstalling the drivers.
Also (separate from that test) try dragging the Preferences file out on the desktop and so Photoshop can build a new one when it launches. If that doesn't solve the problem, you can put the old Prefs back in to restore your settings.

#12 ·
Minor update:
If I run PS in 32 bit, there is nothing I can do to have OpenGl turned on.
In 64 bit, when I reset the workspace then restart PS, OpenGl is enabled until I move a pallet.

I unplugged the Wacom tablet, still no go.

History:
4-5 months ago, I had another computer with the same problem, but for some reason, one morning, OpenGl was back on, it was magically fixed.
I now have a brand new computer (since 3 months) with a freshly installed Creative suite CS5. The OpenGL problem came back to haunt me.

Also (separate from that test) try dragging the Preferences file out on the desktop and so Photoshop can build a new one when it launches. If that doesn't solve the problem, you can put the old Prefs back in to restore your settings.
If you read my first post, that's what I did.
I deleted everything in the AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS5.1
Unless there is another path?

#13 ·
Major update:
I finally fixed the problem.
After unplugging the Wacom, nothing was working.
I uninstalled all Wacom drivers I could find.
Rebooted the computer and it finally worked.
I will be waiting for the 4.77 drivers and give it a go!

Thanks to all.

I will keep you informed after I get the driver.

#18 ·
#19 ·
ok, everything works now, but my mouse is really slow .I have to change its settings, but there is no control panel.
If I change the default mouse settings, it does not accelerate the cursor.
But Opengl and Wacom works

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.