1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Photoshop: how to change color of an object

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by plejon, Apr 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. plejon

plejon Thread Starter

I'm designing a website for a bicycle company.

I have a picture of a white bicycle frame. (See attachment) What I would like to do is manipulate it in photoshop to turn it into another color frame, e.g. a blue, red or green frame.

The idea is to design a website where the customer can choose a color, then show the frame in the selected color.

One way to do would be to take a picture of the frame in every color, but this is unpractical. The company offers over 30 different colors, with a possibility to have a different color on the front and on the back of the frame. This means 30 X 30 = 900 different combinations, so it is quite impossible to have a frame painted for each combination.

Attached Files:

2. TO Lady

TO Lady

I've changed it to a red frame, and my method won't work in white. You pull the red frame into photoshop, and then Image>Adjust>Hue&Saturations, and use the sliders to view different colours, lower or increase the saturation as desired.

Attached Files:

3. TO Lady

TO Lady

sorry, "and my method" shd read "as my method..."

4. plejon

plejon Thread Starter

It works with my white frame and transparant background.

I open the Hue&Saturation dialog, check the colorize checkbox and I can start changing the color.

Many thanks, I was experimenting by making the frame semi-transparant and painting the color I wanted behind the frame, but your method is much better.

5. TO Lady

TO Lady

well, now I just learned something new!! *LMAO* didn't know about the colorize box... DUH!!! Guess the old adage RTFM....

6. slipe

slipe

I would start with a higher resolution image of the frame. The aliasing along the edges will show even with a small image.

If people are going to be able to order a bicycle directly from the site I would do better with the colors than just guessing. Scan the company color chart with a good scanner. If you don’t have an accurate scanner have it scanned professionally. You might have to brighten it a little. The gamma (center) slider in levels is a better choice than brightness for that.

If you are going to use the white frame as your template I would take some of the shadows out using only the right slider in levels. That will reduce your shadows a little without losing the highlights. You don’t want to remove all of the shadows, but it is a little too dark on the largest tubes on the frame.

Layer>Duplicate layer>OK.

Open the color chart you copied and pick one of the colors with the eyedropper tool. Select the airbrush tool with 100% flow and opacity. Use a big brush – you will paint only the bicycle if it is on a transparent background. You might use a small brush in white to tweak the highlights back up or better use curves on the original white frame. I didn’t mess with it but some of the highlights need to be brought back out.

Set the layer mode to darken. You can experiment with all of the modes but darken seems to work. Layer>flatten image. You can use colorize in the Hue/Saturation to modify the colors and keep the shadow detail, but I would hate to choose a bicycle color from an image made with that crude a tool.

By using the layers you preserve some of the shadow detail rather than wash it all out. I just picked a gaudy red as an example

[​IMG]

This is with more shadow kept in the original layer:

[​IMG]

7. uly7

uly7

One way to do this, is to make it a vector image (smallest file) then change colors. You save as .swf , then imported to your web page.
    It may work, plus it will look more cleaner. Try Illustrator.
    Uly7

8. uly7

uly7

Hola
    Here is a shape of the Byc.
    Open the psd file and you will find the shape.
    I hope this help.
    Uly7

Attached Files:

9. Rockn

Rockn

All you need to do is to create a layer for every color you want and go to image > adjustments >hue and saturation, check the colorize checkbox and move the sliders until you get the color you are looking for.

You can then save each layer as a new jpg with other layers hidden.

Attached Files:

10. plejon

plejon Thread Starter

Thank you all for your suggestions, they were most helpfull

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/222191

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice