Photoshop Tutorial

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

shawnstrauss

I had Photoshop 5, 7 and now CS. Up to this point I have just dabbled in it, especially with CS as I downloaded it from Adobe's website and it doesn't come with a manual when downloaded. My question is, can anyone reccommend books that can teach a beginner/intermediate user like myself?

Well, I wouldn't go spend anything more than $50 on a photoshop book but there are *TONS* I repeat *TONS* of photoshop guides on the internet. Places like www.good-tutorials.com will teach you neat tricks, while others will teach you how to use the program in general. You can learn really fast just by fiddling around with blank/backgrounded images and messin with tools and filters.

Google is your friend.

Look through the Photoshop Help Files - they're excellent.
PS: was this the trial?

buck52

Banned
Howdy

If you used v7 there is not much difference to CS...any changes you should have no troube getting online...

This book for ps7

Classroom in a book is as good as it gets if you want to buy something...most applies to CS

buck

help.com, and hplearningcenter.com both have free online classes in photoshop and many other subjects. They have the lessons, assignments, and a quiz + a message board.

I've found that self-teaching is the best method in photoshop(at least the version I have, 6).

I wouldn't pay anything to learn photoshop it costs enough (unless you got lucky and it came with somekinda hardware you bought). Teaching yourself or free tutorials are the best. I learned most from teaching myself it is the tricks like rain that i learn from the internet.

I'm a self-taught expert myself :D
However when watching Lynda.com or Total training's videos they always have some things that you didn't know or used to do differently. Photoshop has so many possibilities that even if you consider yourself a pro, there's still much much more :D
If you don't mind spending some money I'd reccomend those video trainings, if you do mind: surf and play :D

Cheers

/NL

I also have PhotoShop 8. I have never did a thing with it. I know PSP 8 somewhat. Does PhotoShop work similar to PaintShop?
I also want to learn. ;)

Noyb

Jay
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
33SM said:
I also have PhotoShop 8. I have never did a thing with it. I know PSP 8 somewhat. Does PhotoShop work similar to PaintShop?
I also want to learn. ;)

I don’t know about PSP - but I’d guess ….basically - YES

Just some thoughts … FWIW …
When Adobe came out with Elements 3.0 - I was Impressed.
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0409/04091505adobe_elements3.asp

It looked like they finally decided to market an exceptional product for the Hobbyists at a reasonable price.
Photoshop Elements 3.0. can be found for ~$79 or less.
It’s the Hobbyist version of PS 9.0
Too bad Bill Gates doesn’t think this way.

Then, it looked like Total Training followed suit …
http://www.totaltraining.com/prod/adobe/photoshop_elements3_u.asp?mscsid=
If you play hard to get, they might make you a $51 offer.
This 6 hour Training Video is applicable to the basic techniques and tools used in PS 8.0.
But, PSE 3.0 has some new (handy) tools, only found in PS 9.0 (CS2).

Now - Add the freeware Irfanview, http://www.irfanview.com/ …
for your basic viewer and editor and there won’t be much you can’t do.

Once you learn the Adobe Selection techniques, Layering principals, Image resizing, Keyboard shortcuts and the other basic tools … you’ll be off and running. Then, what you read elsewhere will make sense.

Do NOT get the Total training PSE 3.0 … 3 hour Video.
You should be using Irfanview for you Basic Viewer/Editor. It’s a whole lot faster.
You don’t need to know, or use, the Adobe browser/organizer … IMO.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online