1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

photosmart1000 install

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by gooley, Sep 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gooley

gooley Thread Starter

Recently had to reinstall xp, however when i went to hook my photosmart 1000 printer up-no go. I had it installed prior to reinstall of XP and it worked great. I have cd-rom install disk for windows 2000 and tried that but didn't work. D-loaded software from HP site for XP install and that didn't work either as I kept getting the check connections response as it said the printer was not responding. How in the heck do I get this thing hooked up??

2. byon

byon

1) Check under your device manager(in control panel -> system -> hardware -> device manager), look for 'Universal Serial Bus Controllers' or 'Other Devices', see if there is any yellow question mark icons.
    If there is, install your Chipset drivers again (it normally contains the usb drivers that you need)

2) [assure that your printer is working; i checked out the printer specifications, it is using USB.]
    Hook this printer to anotehr windows based PC(win98,2000,xp) using USB interface, look out for the New Hardware found icon. If there is, 75% chance your printer is working, unless exception. (Dont worry about that)

if your usb drivers are installed, you still dont get the hardware found notice, hot-plug your usb interface again. (detach and attach). then wait for the hardware found notice.

try these alternatives..
    ill be here looking for your reply.

3. gooley

gooley Thread Starter

thanks for response byon. Just to make sure, I have the printer hooked up on parallel not USB, if that makes a difference in what you're telling me. I went to device manager and there was an "!" under the printer that was beside "IEEE 1284.4 devices" Does this change your instructions? Thanks

4. byon

byon

okay. Ignore the device manager "!" thing, it will go off once we got your device installed.

Theres a change in the instructions now, since it is parallel.
    Are you familiar with Accessing BIOS on your current PC? (if your PC is a DIY, press 'DEL' before your system starts seeing the windows screen to enter setup)
    then, look for something that says 'Integrated Peripheral' (it could be something else, eg, 'I/O Peripheral'). Then there will be a setting, 'Parallel Port Mode'. Change the setting to 'ECP' if it is on ECP, try other settings(except EPP; normally there will be 3 or 4 settings available).

Then boot back up to windows and try installing the driver again.

If you still can't find your bios or parallel port mode, look into your computer/motherboard manual or tell me your computer/motherboard model.

This process takes a very long time up to an hour. I'll be right here waiting for your reply. Don't worry. :)

5. gooley

gooley Thread Starter

Sorry took so long to get back, however I managed to get it to work . Not sure exactly how but its working. I think the problem was when i d-l'd the xp updataed version of the software/driver, i installed it to a temp folder but when i installed it into the HP folder that was created with the cd rom disk i had it seemed to work. Thanks for the assistance!

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/163698

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice