1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PHP and mysql but not a website

Discussion in 'Web Design & Development' started by denise_0006, Oct 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. denise_0006

denise_0006 Thread Starter

ever since i started messing around databases, they all have been made for website deployment... My question what are some possible applications/software/language... (i dont know how to call it.. but like visual basic) that i can integrate with php and mysql without developing a website? what about asp.net and mysql? is that possible? THANKS!!!

2. MMJ

MMJ Guest

3. Fyzbo

Fyzbo

I'm a bit confused by the question, but I will try.

Databases are not specific to web development. You can use mysql, mysqli, ms sql, ms sql express, oracle, etc. with both websites and applications. Most databases can be used with a variety of programming languages, of course some combinations are easier then others.
    i.e. asp.net + ms sql
    php + mysql

php and asp.net are both specific to websites. Although there is work being done to allow php to be used in desktop applications, php was originally designed for and works best for websites.

If you would like to move away from website development and into application development there are many languages to choose from. In the Microsoft world you have the .net runtime supporting many languages including vb, C#, etc. In the open source world you have C, C++, Java, etc. Most of these languages will connect to the multiple databases available.

I don't know if I addressed your question, if I haven't please say so.

4. denise_0006

hi! u sort of answered the question.. yes.. i would like to develop an application instead of a website... so, i just wanna ask can i use C# and mysql together?
    how do i connect to the database using C#? and is there an IDE out there that can help me hasten my development? if i choose C# and mysql, what is the other language i need to create the gui part??? Thanks!

5. haswalt

haswalt

well for desktop dev on windows you could use many different languages to develop the GUI:

.NET, c# etc

MySQL will work with these, but not sure why you would want to it's a lot easier to use MSSQL.

If you go ont eh MySQL website there is a list of all the plugins and code to utilise MySQL with desktop languaes.

Alternativley if you have experience with PHP and MySQL and want to develop desktop systems why not look into a solution like GTK (mentioned above) or winbinder. These both give you the ability to write desktop software with PHP. I've played with winbinder and found it very useful. Although it will never be as powerful or quick as my VB.NET applications but is close.

6. Fyzbo

Fyzbo

I agree, if you want to learn .net you should download visual studio express and MS Sql Express, both are free. If you want to continue using mysql you can with .net, but it may be easier to use a different programming language.

7. denise_0006

ok... originally i want to develop a desktop application with php and mysql... what are the things i need to know and get before i get started?

8. denise_0006

and in php-gtk, there are soooo many stuff to download! which one should i download? which is the latest and the most stable?

9. haswalt

haswalt

well first off itis not as easy as you think.

What you really need is aplan of action and reasons why you want to develop this with php not some other desktop development language.

You need some good reasons why not as php will never be as stable, secure or useful as real desktop dev languages.

Now what you need to next decide is the method of parsing the software. Either GTK or winbinder. While i have never used GTK i have used winbinder extensivily and would recommend it: www.winbinder.org. (Although i think the windbinder project is pretty much dead and GTK is still on going).

Then you need to decide who this is being aimed at, this wil determine what method you willuse to build the app. Be warned building for windows is NOT easy and i found it took a few hours hit and miss to work it out. But i can help with this.

Then you need to spend a few hours reading throught eh documentation for the respective dlls to work out how to use them with php.

Once that si done you can start coding. write the scripts as you would nomral php and simply include the commands required by the dlls to build the windows interface. Then when done build into a windows executable.

I then used Ino Setup to create distributable programs that could be installed and uninstalled. Veyr good would recommend that and no other too!!

Harry

10. Fyzbo

Fyzbo

Personally I will never understand using php for desktop applications. It was designed for websites and as a scripting language has definite limitations.

11. denise_0006

hi:D the reason i chose php is because i wanna develop my skills with it! but since it is not advised to use php... what are some languages i can use aside from vb.net and C#? if i choose vb.net, what are the things i need to have inorder to get started? in my application, i really need a database. That is why i also chose php because i have mysql installed already in my computer.. :D what advisable databases (free or opensource) that i can use for my application?

12. haswalt

haswalt

well if you use vb.NET (my best recomendation anyway) you can install the free MSSQL Dev version. This only allows one database with a max of 50meg i believe but depends what you are doing but you're not likely to hit that limit.

It's freely available fromt the microsoft website. Alternativly, get on MySQL's website get the plugins for vb.Net to allow connections to MySQL. It's a pain but can be done witha little perserverance. I managed it. But i moved to MSSQL becuase it's so much more powerful, quicker and easy when developing deskto applications.

If you are considering doing proper desktop development, you really want to spend the money and buy visual studio or something liek that and a real version on MSSQL, or consider using flat file databases for more basic approach and portability.

13. Fyzbo

Fyzbo

I would recommend Visual C++ or Java. You already have MySql installed and know how to use it so continue using it. Both have ups and downs and although .net may be more common in the business world today you will learn a lot about programming from C++ and Java.

If you do go .net try C# as it will be closer to php then vb.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/643340

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice