1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

php forum script needed!

Discussion in 'Web Design & Development' started by inventforums.org, Aug 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. inventforums.org

inventforums.org Thread Starter

ok i need someone to ether create me a forum software really simple so i can edit and make a template for to produce or give me a open source forum thats for EDITTING and its not copy righted so i can edit and stuff . i just want a system that your able to ( POST , REPLY , REGISTER , ADMIN CP , and like icon legends ) just the simple basics of a forum software let me know. you will be rewarded .

2. erick295

erick295

3. covert215

covert215 Banned

However, that doesn't mean you can't edit it.

4. inventforums.org

inventforums.org Thread Starter

i want something thats not copy righted. . . as i stated in my post...

5. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

I believe in a previous post of yours I directed you to search Sourceforge.net. You will find plenty of code there that you can use.

6. brendandonhu

brendandonhu

This has been posted several times...the GPL allows you to edit and distribute the code even though it is copyrighted. I really doubt if there is a public domain forum in PHP. Maybe you should look for something under the BSD license if you need less restrictions.

7. thecoalman

thecoalman

Or sell it for that matter if you can find someone stupid enough to buy it:

http://www.phpbb.com/support/license.php

The copyright in this case works the opposite way of most copyrights. It's to insure the code in parts or in whole remains open source and isn't used in a proprietary environment.

8. erick295

erick295

Everything that is created by someone is, by default, copyrighted. There is no such thing as a program that isn't copyrighted. However, phpbb is open source, so you can edit it if you want. There are also a large number of extensions for it that other people have written. I think you are confusing non-copyrighted material with open source material.

9. brendandonhu

brendandonhu

Sure there is...it would be in the public domain.

10. erick295

erick295

You're correct. However, I don't think any PHP programs have been around long enough to be considered public domain :)

Even if the owner allows as many copies to be made as possible with no restrictions (or few restrictions in the case of open source programs), as long as the original author has been alive in the last 70 years, it's still copyrighted.

11. brendandonhu

brendandonhu

No, the author can still release it into the public domain. Sourceforge lists a lot of public domain software.

12. thecoalman

thecoalman

Apparently a grey area, from wikipedia:

Section 203, http://www.copyright.gov/title17/92chap2.html#203

---------------------------------

I thought a work was only legally copyrighted if published with a copyright notice (e.g. if you published without a copyright notice you gave up all rights), apparently that is not the case. It becomes copyrighted as soon as it's fixed in a tangible format :

Some more info from wikipedia:

They make no mention of how to put a work into the public domain. Nonetheless if you publish a work and do not include a copyright notice I would not expect any protection under the copyright law for current infringement. However it appears you can stop further infringement.

This certainly does bring up an interesting dilemma, suppose someone uses something they believe to be public domain and it becomes an integral part of whatever they have created. 20 years down the road the copyright holder decides to enforce his copyright.....

thecoalman Copyright 2006 :)

13. erick295

erick295

You get complete protection whether you post a notice or not. A notice is just a formality. Every original work you create, even if you never say it's copyrighted or you never register it with the copyright office, is still protected by copyright laws, and it cannot be copied by anyone without your permission. The difference is that you can't seek damages in court unless you registered the work before the illegal copy was made. You can still order a cease and desist and the offender can be prosecuted, but by then it's basically too late - the damage to your work has already been done and you won't get any compensation for it. If you ever create something that's truly valuable, be sure to register it :)

Many people believe that you can copy something as many times as you want as long as you don't sell the copies. This is completely untrue. Even copying someone's clipart from a Web site and putting it on a party flyer is illegal, unless the owner of the work has given you permission to copy it and use it that way.

14. thecoalman

thecoalman

That is what I meant. If it's not clearly marked as copyrighted you'll have a tough time collecting any damages for infringement.

That is not completely true, registration will provide some benefits but overall it doesn't provide you with morre or less protection.

15. erick295

erick295

http://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/faq-general.html#register

"Do I have to register with your office to be protected?
    No. In general, registration is voluntary. Copyright exists from the moment the work is created. You will have to register, however, if you wish to bring a lawsuit for infringement of a U.S. work. See Circular 1, Copyright Basics, section Copyright Registration."

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/489679

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice