PHP Include by using start of line?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Damonc

First Name
Damon
Hi,
Is there a way to use the PHP Include function to include a line from a file depending on what it starts with?

I currently have the following script to extract a line from an rss feed to display the current temp, however, when theres a storm warning current, it appears on that line which obviously doesn't work properly where im using it.

Code:
          <?php 
	$file = file('http://rss.weatherzone.com.au/?u=12994-1285&lt=aploc&lc=2007&obs=1&fc=1&warn=1');
echo $file[41];
?>
if i could get a script to search just for a line starting with "<b>Temperature:</b>" I'd be fine as its where the information is that I want, its the only line that starts with that info, and then if its line number changes it wont be a problem..

First Name
Jim
Hi Damonc, maybe you should examine each line of your feed, by converting it to simple xml, checking the first 19 characters for "<b>Temperature:</b>" and only echo the matches? Something along the lines of...
e.g.
PHP:
	$content = file_get_contents($feed_url);
	$x = new SimpleXmlElement($content);
	echo "<ul>";
	foreach($x->channel->item as $entry) {
                if (substr($entry,0,19) == "<b>Temperature:</b>") echo "<li><a href='$entry->link' title='$entry->title'>" . $entry->title . "</a></li>";
	}
	echo "</ul>";
I haven't tested this code so don't trust it - it's just to give you a guideline...

Damonc

First Name
Damon
I am going to try the script. As per my knowledge, php include is done just with simple one line <?php include ("filename.php") ?>. But for complex inclusion, your script may be helpful.
Can you let me know how you go? I kinda took one look at the above code and got confused as my self taught php-knowledge isn't that great.

First Name
Jim
The include function simply slips php code into your page where it's declared. With such a short piece of code, I wouldn't use include I would simply insert the code where applicable.

Damonc

First Name
Damon
Hi Damonc, maybe you should examine each line of your feed, by converting it to simple xml, checking the first 19 characters for "<b>Temperature:</b>" and only echo the matches? Something along the lines of...
e.g.
PHP:
	$content = file_get_contents($feed_url);
	$x = new SimpleXmlElement($content);
	echo "<ul>";
	foreach($x->channel->item as $entry) {
                if (substr($entry,0,19) == "<b>Temperature:</b>") echo "<li><a href='$entry->link' title='$entry->title'>" . $entry->title . "</a></li>";
	}
	echo "</ul>";
I haven't tested this code so don't trust it - it's just to give you a guideline...
Could I trouble you to give me a bit of a hand with this when you have a bit of time? I don't know enough of what i'm doing to get it to work..

First Name
Jim
Sure, no problem - could you post the code for the entire page where your feed is displayed, please?

Damonc

First Name
Damon
OK, So here is the code, the PHP include reference is pretty much at the end, this is a menu system that the temp appears on the right hand side of the top bar.. this is then inserted into every page throughout the website. I realise the code may not be the best, but its all self taught.. and for the most part, works...

Code:
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">

<link rel="stylesheet" href="css/jd.gallery.css" type="text/css" media="screen" />
<head>

<script src="scripts/mootools-1.2.1-core-yc.js" type="text/javascript"></script>
		<script src="scripts/mootools-1.2-more.js" type="text/javascript"></script>
		<script src="scripts/jd.gallery.js" type="text/javascript"></script>
		<script src="scripts/jd.gallery.transitions.js" type="text/javascript"></script>
<script type="text/javascript" language="javascript" src="lytebox.js"></script>
<link rel="stylesheet" href="css/lytebox.css" type="text/css" media="screen" />
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="pro_drop_1/pro_drop_1.css" />

<script src="pro_drop_1/stuHover.js" type="text/javascript"></script>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8" />

<script language="JavaScript" type="text/javascript">

function sivamtime() {
  now=new Date();
  hour=now.getHours();
  min=now.getMinutes();
  sec=now.getSeconds();

if (min<=9) { min="0"+min; }
if (sec<=9) { sec="0"+sec; }
if (hour>12) { hour=hour-12; add="PM"; }
else { hour=hour; add="AM"; }
if (hour==12) { add="PM"; }

time = ((hour<=9) ? "0"+hour : hour) + ":" + min + ":"+sec+  add;

if (document.getElementById) { document.getElementById('theTime').innerHTML = time; }
else if (document.layers) {
 document.layers.theTime.document.write(time);
 document.layers.theTime.document.close(); }

setTimeout("sivamtime()", 1000);
}
window.onload = sivamtime;

// -->

</script>

</head>

<body>
<!-- Start Menu -->
<span class="preload1"></span>
  <span class="preload2"></span>
<!-- Connection for announcer menu -->
<?php
$host="localhost"; // Host name 
$username="USER"; // Mysql username 
$db_name="fmcomau_data"; // Database name
$db_pass="PASSWORD"; 
$tbl_name="announpages"; // Table name

// Connect to server and select database.
mysql_connect("$host", "$username", "$db_pass")or die("cannot connect"); 
mysql_select_db("$db_name")or die("cannot select DB");

$sql="SELECT * FROM $tbl_name WHERE active = 'Yes'";
$result=mysql_query($sql);
?>

<ul id="nav">
    <li class="top"><a href="../" class="top_link"><span>Home</span></a></li>
    <li class="top"><a href="stream.php" class="top_link"><span>Listen Online!</span></a></li>
    <li class="top"><a href="#menu" id="fmcomau_data" class="top_link"><span class="down">Whats on FM 100.3</span></a>
      <ul class="sub">
        <li class="mid"><a href="#menu" class="fly">Announcers</a>
          <ul>
          <?php
while($rows=mysql_fetch_array($result)){
?>
            <?php echo $rows['code1']; echo $rows['id']; echo $rows['code2']; echo $rows['announcer']; echo $rows['code3'];?>
<?php
}
?>
<?php
mysql_close();
?>
</ul>

<!-- Connection for feature menu -->
<?php
$host="localhost"; // Host name 
$username="USER"; // Mysql username 
$db_name="fmcomau_data"; // Database name
$db_pass="PASSWORD"; 
$tbl_name="featurepages"; // Table name

// Connect to server and select database.
mysql_connect("$host", "$username", "$db_pass")or die("cannot connect"); 
mysql_select_db("$db_name")or die("cannot select DB");

$sql="SELECT * FROM $tbl_name WHERE active = 'Yes'";
$result=mysql_query($sql);
?>

<?php
while($rows=mysql_fetch_array($result)){
?>
            <?php echo $rows['code1']; echo $rows['id']; echo $rows['code2']; echo $rows['title']; echo $rows['code3'];?>
<?php
}
?>
<?php
mysql_close();
?>

<!-- Static Feature menu items -->
        <li><a href="request.php">Request a song</a></li>
        <li><a href="lostfound.php">Lost & Found</a></li>
        <li><a href="comps.php">Comps & Promos</a></li>
        <li><a href="sport.php">Sports Star of the week</a></li>
        <li><a href="courtesyawards.php">Courtesy Awards</a></li>
        <li><a href="https://www.facebook.com/pages/fmcomau_data/196798303677812">FM 100.3 on Facebook</a></li>
        </ul>
      </li>
    <li class="top"><a href="#menu" id="fmcomau_data" class="top_link"><span class="down"> Local Events & Info  </span></a>
      <ul class="sub">
        <li class="mid"><a href="http://www.armidaletourism.com.au/events_monthly.asp" target="_blank">Events calendar (Ext. Link)</a></li>
        <li><a href="see.php">Things to see</a></li>
        <li><a href="eat.php">Places to eat</a></li>
        <li><a href="traffic.php">Nrthn NSW traffic conditions</a></li>

</ul>
      </li>
    <li class="top"><a href="contact.php" class="top_link"><span>Contact Us</span></a></li>
    <li class="top"><a href="#nogo1" class="top_link"><span id="theTime" font-family: arial; font-size: 9pt"></span></a></li><li class="top"><a href="#" class="top_link"><span>
    <div class="wide">
    <?php 
	$file = file('http://rss.weatherzone.com.au/?u=12994-1285&lt=aploc&lc=2007&obs=1&fc=1&warn=1');
echo $file[41];
?></div>
    </span></a></li>

</ul>   

</body>
</html>

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online