PHP or ASP(.NET) ...which database?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Ipsens

Hi crew!

I need some info:

In web development I came to line where I MUST choose which server side language to start learning... PHP or ASP (now ASP.NET option).
I know PHP is for all sistems and ASP is win based.

Also regarding databases:

MySql or SQL Server
...because What if database will have 200.000 or 1milion user. Just tell me where is BORDER when I should use SQL Server instead of free MySql?
Example if you will have more then 100.000 user then use SQL Server.
If belove 100.000 use MySql

Who is paying for the SQL server?

The license is in the tens of thousands per microprocessor. This include dual core microprocessor which have to pay double license.

It is all matter of your wallet size, fear factor, and CEO bias.

Ipsens

Ok then it will be MySql...

But how much members can it support max. Would over 200.000 members be to much?

And what with a main question?

Ipsens

There is no easy way to answer the first question.

You can have 20 million users in a single MS Access database, obviously not all at the same time.

The question here is how many transactions, connections, etc. in a large scale as you present you need advice from a pro since there is no single server capable to handle such load. You will need a cluster.

There is no 'border', it is about server load...

From mySQL.com:
The total maximum number of nodes in a MySQL Cluster is 63. This number includes all MySQL Servers (SQL nodes), data nodes, and management servers.
The maximum number of tables in a Cluster database is limited to 1792.
Contact one of the salesman from mysql.com for advice on their products.

Also one of the best databases you can ever use would be postgreSQL, open source and completely free, with history that goes back to 1976. Solid rock.

About the scripting language, remember that asp is M$ and all M$ products are designed to work with other M$ products and they cost too much money.

PHP/Apache/mySQL is an awesome combo.

...and yes i am an advocate of open source.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online