1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PHP Programs Question

Discussion in 'Software Development' started by mixx941, Feb 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mixx941

mixx941 Thread Starter

Hello all. I recently upgraded my web server to be able to use PHP. I want to add a couple of new things to my website, but I need your reccomendation on which ones to use.

1. I am looking for a chat program with easy setup and good admin features like booting and banning.

2. I am looking for a poll system with easy install and decent graphical stats.

I already got a forum system...phpBB. I love it!

If you have any suggestions on any good free chat or poll programs, please post them.

Thanks

-Mark

P.S. My server can also handle Perl, C/C++, Java JDK, Python, Tomcat, and TCL. If better free programs are available in any of these languages, let me know.

2. Herring

Herring

I'm not familiar with chat software. But you can get good stats, polling, BB, news.... for free with PHP-Nuke http://phpnuke.org/

I just downloaded it yesterday and am still in the configuration process on my local server, but it looks great.

Hint: You do need access to a database on your server, but I imagine that you probably already have MySQL or other if you are running a Bulletin Board.

3. mixx941

mixx941 Thread Starter

Yes. I have MySQL.

Thanks for the tip.

I assume you mean PHP-Nuke 6.0, correct?

-Mark

4. mixx941

mixx941 Thread Starter

Also, how do I set it up? I don't see a readme file.

Thanks

-Mark

5. Herring

Herring

That's because it's hidden in the tar.gz file.

I extracted it and attached it to this post.

Attached Files:

6. mixx941

mixx941 Thread Starter

Hey thanks for the suggestion, but I tried to upload it and it had errors all 3 times I tried.

Also, it had a bunch of other things that I don't need. I was just looking for a free and simple poll and chat.

If anyone has any other ideas, please post them, as I need these features operational ASAP!

Thanks A Lot

-Mark

7. mixx941

mixx941 Thread Starter

I think I found a pretty good poll system, called sympoll. For now I am going to stick with that unless you think there is a better one.

That leaves the chat.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks

-Mark

8. Snake~eyes

Snake~eyes

Personally I don't like Phpnuke or any of those portal based programs.

First, its too easy to identify a phpnuke site be cause of how it looks, with the blocks and what not. ;)

The best place to find premade scripts is www.hotscripts.com

9. mixx941

mixx941 Thread Starter

Thanks for replying! I have been looking around on HotScripts for a while and didn't really see a whole lot that was free, and had good admin features, and that didn't use IRC.

Another question I guess would be is PHP the best language to go for chats? If not, what would be one?

Also, if anyone has a particular chat program in any language in mind, please post it.

Thanks

-Mark

10. Snake~eyes

Snake~eyes

Im not really sure about that. I think the best way is to go with some type of IRC one.

I don't know much about online chats that don't use irc.

11. Snake~eyes

Snake~eyes

But I tihnk you'd be best using a java applet of some sort.

12. mixx941

mixx941 Thread Starter

OK...A Java applet...that isn't a problem except when it comes to IRC...

Would I have to have a computer running mIRC 24/7 for the chat to be operational? If so, how would I set that up?

Thanks

-Mark

13. Snake~eyes

Snake~eyes

Well to be honest I don't know anything about setting up an irc server.

I recommend finding an IRC server thats based on your topic of site, registering a channel and you could even make it private so only peopel from the site could come.

14. jakoval

jakoval

15. Snorii

Snorii

Since you have MySQL, you could also use phpMyChat.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/119049

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice