1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

php script a mystery to me

Discussion in 'Software Development' started by jleigh, Jan 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jleigh

jleigh Thread Starter

i am trying to install a php script for a guestbook on my website and cannot for the life of me figure out how to do it! i modified the config file as the instructions said and ran the install and all i get is a page full of php that i can't understand. did i miss something?

2. Rockn

Rockn

First off...does your ISP support PHP??

3. jleigh

jleigh Thread Starter

yes it does

4. Rockn

Rockn

What do you mean by "you ran the install"? All you should need to do is modify the script for your web host and upload it.

5. jleigh

jleigh Thread Starter

the instructions said to "point my browser to http://.../install.php" after uploading and if all is well i should get a message telling me so, but i don't get that message and whenever i type in the url of the guestbook i get a text file with what i assume is the script

6. Rockn

Rockn

That is an indication that the host does not support PHP or if they do, do not have your web set up to run it. Contact them and ask what is going on with your script.

7. deuce868

deuce868

it could also mean that you don't have the script right. For instance if you leave off the opening braces
    PHP:
    <?php
    you would get all the script printed out to the page.

8. jleigh

jleigh Thread Starter

Thank you both for your help! I am attempting to contact my server host and find out whats going on. If i have any more problems i'll be back..........i'll probably be back LOL;)

9. Guy

Guy

You may also want to check the permissions of the file if you are using FTP to transfer your files.

They should be set as 755

translates to:

owner: read, write, execute
    group: read, execute
    public: read, execute

10. TypeSK

TypeSK

check permissions and make sure you uploaded in ASCII (not binary) .... try that ....

which guestbook software you using?

also, can you point us to the location on your site?

11. jleigh

jleigh Thread Starter

i decided to scrap that script and start over with an asp script......and having problems there too LOL

when i try to access the default.asp file i get this error message:

Catastrophic failure

/guestbook/common.asp, line 107

i opened common.asp in frontpage and went to line 107 which reads:

adoCon.Open strCon

anyone got any ideas?

12. jleigh

jleigh Thread Starter

can anyone tell me what this means and what i'm suppose to do?

'------------- If you are having problems with the script then try using a diffrent driver by editing the lines below --------------

'Database connection info and driver (if this driver does not work then comment it out and use one of the alternative drivers)
    strCon = "DRIVER={Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb)}; DBQ=" & Server.MapPath("guestbook.mdb")

'strCon = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0; Data Source=" & Server.MapPath("guestbook.mdb") 'This one is for Access 2000/2002

'If you wish to use DSN then comment out the driver above and uncomment the line below (DSN is slower than the above drivers)
    'strCon = "DSN = DSN_NAME" 'Place the DSN where you see DSN_NAME

the line to edit is

adoCon.Open strCon

i don't know if i'm suppose to replace strCon or add on after it or ...........? but i think this may fix my problem!

13. TypeSK

TypeSK

honestly, i wouldnt know ...

im barely getting into PHP

ive found that PHP is much easier to read and understand ... and i dont know PHP programming YET, but i can still understand the gist of whats going on in the program ..

ASP, on the other hand is harder to understand and learn ... which is why i decided on trying to learn PHP ....

so id stick with PHP guestbook ....

which software are you using for the GB (both PHP and ASP) ?

14. jleigh

jleigh Thread Starter

the script is ASP. for whatever reason i've been told that i can no longer use PHP on my account. my server sucks! their support suck worse! and i am just starting to work with this stuff.

15. brendandonhu

brendandonhu

If you can't use PHP-are you sure you have ASP support?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/115448

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice