1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Phpbb forum issue

Discussion in 'Web Design & Development' started by RickyRicardo1989, Mar 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. RickyRicardo1989

RickyRicardo1989 Thread Starter

I have a problem with a forum that I run - multitude ones at that, actually - one that I believe is actually quite common but given my inexperience and novice ability when it comes to web design and all that jazz, it's really frustrating me to the point of no return. It's really never been my forte at all.

Basically, I'm getting a string of parse/syntax errors across my forum like this one: Parse error: syntax error, unexpected ')' in /home/nrlnews/public_html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 142.

And whilst I can access the particular files it's referring to, for the life of me, the changes that I seem to make either result in another error of that nature appearing because of what has changed or it has no affect at all.

The forum in question is www.nrlnews.com/forum and as said above, it is well & truly frustrating me. I just cannot wrap my head around the errors.

Would appreciate any extensive assistance on the matter.

Cheers.

2. JiminSA

JiminSA

First Name:
    Jim
    Hi RickyRicardo1989 (How's Lucy?);) Welcome to TSG:)

You have obviously been running your forum for some time. Have these warnings always occurred or just recently?
    The reason I ask is that you may have installed a recent update to phpBB which is causing the problem ...

3. RickyRicardo1989

Haha, get that a lot with a forum name like mine :p And thanks for the welcome, Jimin :)

Yep, a fair while. For the most part, it's run quite smoothly but this last period of some months or so, despite my best efforts and research to try and solve the problem and understand it, it just doesn't happen.

They started to occur about 12 months ago in short bursts - the forum was still usable and efficient despite it, though - but the last 3-4 months in particular, it's basically affected the entire site. Pretty much everything has some sort of parse/syntax error in/on it now.
    And, as said above, I tried everything, researched everything and basically did what I could - all to no avail - and still with the frustrating issue at hand.

To be honest, I couldn't even tell you if there's been a recent phpBB update because I can't even access the admin control panel.
    Haven't been able to do so for a little while now.
    I'm going to presume, though, that it's the most recent version, given the updates were automatic.

4. JiminSA

JiminSA

First Name:
    Jim
    One possible reason for the errors could be that the php version running on your site's host is not up to date - apparently, you should at least be using php version 5.3.3
    If this is not the answer, I recommend that you become a member of and post your problem on the phpBB Support Forum
    I am in no way trying to pass the buck, but feel that this being such a product related problem, it might be more effective, to 'go direct' ...

5. RickyRicardo1989

Hadn't actually thought of that, to be honest.
    Might get in touch with my hosting mob and see if there's some sort of issue on their end and whether they're running the latest phpBB version.

Completely understand that point about it being potentially more effective to go via the phpBB forum. Just thought this was a good place to get some balanced, thought-out responses from guys that dabble in web design and all regularly.
    The replies and help have been much appreciated, Jimin.

6. JiminSA

JiminSA

First Name:
    Jim
    It's actually the latest php version you need to query.

7. RickyRicardo1989

Ah, ok.
    Too easy.

Thanks, Jimin.

8. RickyRicardo1989

So the hosting mob were able to assist in relation to PHP.
    The parse/syntax errors are gone but now when I click on most of the threads/pages, it comes up as completely blank or with a lone forward slash.

They also mentioned updating phpBB itself to nullify any potential security issues and that should hopefully clean out any bugs within the system.
    Though that's something I'm genuinely concerned about doing given my inexperience in this field/area, as I don't want to mess anything up.

Though at least somehow, progress is being made.

9. JiminSA

JiminSA

First Name:
    Jim
    Well I'm glad you are making progress and recommend you seek advice on their forum about their upgrade. But I am particularly concerned about the loss of the threads! i.e. blank pages.
    Definitely time to call on their forum help!
    BTW I am still getting the syntax errors on your site here in South Africa, not blank pages??

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!