1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PHPMYADMIN security issues

Discussion in 'Web Design & Development' started by Twenty, Jul 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Twenty

Twenty Thread Starter

Is there a way to make a login for PHPMYADMIN because i let my server run anyone can just go to http://www.sitename.com/phpmyadmin/ and make their own acount and i also dont know how to change the username for it.

2. Chroder

Chroder

Find the config.inc.php file and change the line:
    Code:
    $cfg['Servers'][$i]['auth_type']     = 'config';
    To
    Code:
    $cfg['Servers'][$i]['auth_type']     = '[B][COLOR="Red"]http[/COLOR][/B]';
    This will require you to enter the database login details to use PMA.

3. Twenty

Twenty Thread Starter

Ok thank you that worked! But how do i edit it because under the same settings files i tryed to change it from root but it wont accept what anything else. :(

4. Twenty

Twenty Thread Starter

So how would i change my username and password?

5. Chroder

Chroder

You'll want to create a new user. If this is on localhost, you can run a CREATE USER query (just log in with root first to run this query). Note that you also have to GRANT users permission on each new database you have.

DevArticles has a good walkthrough on how to do this.

If you are using a hosting solution, usually the only way to create new users is by using the control panel (ie. cPanel) unless you actually manage your own server.

6. dizzle_deasy

dizzle_deasy

You can also use phpMyAdmin to create a new user if the server is logged in as root. PMA has a very easy GUI for creating users. From the home screen of PMA you click on "Privileges". Now you should have a screen that has "Add a new User" you can click on this to create a user. Then you can give the user global privleges or select a database to give the user privileges. This should be pretty easy to understand once you see it.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!