1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Physical memory dump after fatal error

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by renton72, Jan 6, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. renton72

renton72 Thread Starter

Win XP

My pc recently blue screened and restarted and the message 'dumping physical memory'. I restarted my computer before all the physical dump had finished.

Should i have done this or let the memory dump finish?

This memory dump has been put into the C:\WINNT folder and is 523 megs in size. Two questions:

1) how can i view this file?

2) Can it be deleted after a reboot and everything is working fine?

Thanks in advance.

2. Dan O

Dan O

1. I think you can use Wordpad to read, but being a memory dump of registries and instructions stacks it is not going to make much sense.

2. Yes, you can delete it without causing XP any problems. The purpose for the dump is XP can automatically send errors and dumps to Microsoft for their review. If you let it complete XP would mostly prompted you if you want to send it.

3. renton72

renton72 Thread Starter

Thanks alot

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/64440

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice