1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Physical Memory suddenly shot up and made laptop very slow! svchost.exe problem?HELP!

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by crwaite, Sep 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crwaite

crwaite Thread Starter

Sep 29, 2011
    Hey, as mentioned in the title, the amount of RAM my laptop was using has suddenly shot up from around 10% up to 50%-60%.

This causes massive problems as one of the music software programmes i use for my work generally uses around 40% of the RAM to run, now before; this was fine, but as the memory now is so high when I run the programme the used RAM is over 90% and the latency goes through the roof which makes it impossible to run.

I did some digging on the internet and saw its a good idea to run the Resource Manager programme to check what is taking up all the memory all of a sudden.
    The top file is a file named svchost.exe (LocalSystemNetworkRestricted), and there are others on there all named svchost.exe. apparently some think this is some sort a virus and seems to be a solved by going into the task manager and finding what services this process is running and shut them off, but the problem is that this process doesnt appear on the Task Manager, only on the Recourse Manager.

So basically if it is this file/process which is causing the problem I really need help getting rid of it. Iv checked for viruses using Kaspersky and Malwarebytes.
    Iv also performed the Ccleaner.
    The specs of my laptop are:

Toshiba satallite C650-152
    around 300gb Harddrive
    3GB ram
    Intel i3 processor, around 2.3 GHz

Any help would be very much appreciated :)
  2. lunarlander

Sep 21, 2007
    Where did you find this Resouce Manager program? It's not part of Windows.
  3. Coornio

Sep 30, 2011
    He probably means Resource Monitor. It can be opened through taskmanager, through this button:

crwaite: svchost is the executable that hosts the services that run within your computers. There are multiple instances to accommodate services that need to be run on different levels, so seeing multiple of them is normal. However, if one of them starts hogging your computer and you think it might be a fake, you should right click on the executable in task manager, and select "open file location". If it's not in /Windows/system32, then you've got a problem. Otherwise, the cause for the lag is likely a service going haywire.
  4. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

Mar 9, 2009
    Superfetch is a service occasionally misbehaving on some computers. It's a service managed by one of your svchost.exe processes.

Press the Windows key + R to open a Run box.

Type services.msc.

Locate the Superfetch service, stop it and disable it. See if your CPU usage comes down.
As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1019970