Physics Question

dudeking

Thread Starter
Joined
Feb 7, 2007
Messages
483
Right sorry if this is the wrong place to post but I'm new :)

One of the variables of resistance is the type of metal. I can't think how to explain this in my essay.
Is it that the more electrons in the atom of the metal the lower the resistance? Which would explain why copper is such as good conductor?

Is this true?

Thanks:D
 
Joined
Jun 13, 2004
Messages
18,287
dudeking said:
Right sorry if this is the wrong place to post but I'm new :)

One of the variables of resistance is the type of metal. I can't think how to explain this in my essay.
Is it that the more electrons in the atom of the metal the lower the resistance? Which would explain why copper is such as good conductor?

Is this true?

Thanks:D
google "electrical resistance"....the answer is in the first hit
 

dudeking

Thread Starter
Joined
Feb 7, 2007
Messages
483


Yay, found it :)

Thanks(y)
 

PCG342

Banned
Joined
Jan 8, 2006
Messages
772
Yeeeeeah, I studied Physics, among other things, and I didn't know that one...
 
Joined
Dec 5, 2006
Messages
32,642
I did Physics. :eek: .Poor Eddie you have my sympathy ;)

remember the experiment with magnesium burning it in a test tube ..or was that chemistry .. :)

Biology Physics and Chemistry O level what fun !!!!!!!:D
 
Joined
Feb 9, 2001
Messages
803
Blackmirror said:
I did Physics. :eek: .Poor Eddie you have my sympathy ;)

remember the experiment with magnesium burning it in a test tube ..or was that chemistry .. :)

Biology Physics and Chemistry O level what fun !!!!!!!:D
I think a lot of how much you enjoy those classes has to do with the teacher. I had a great physics teacher in high school - he loved hands on experiments, etc. I learned a lot from him - and actually even remember a thing or two now (20 years later).

TL
 
Joined
Dec 5, 2006
Messages
32,642
tomlunt said:
I think a lot of how much you enjoy those classes has to do with the teacher. I had a great physics teacher in high school - he loved hands on experiments, etc. I learned a lot from him - and actually even remember a thing or two now (20 years later).

TL
Yes picture this
a whole 36 full class of giggling girls*( i went to an all girls school)
and one male chemistry teacher who was standing in for our Biology teacher
who was trying so hard to teach us about contraception .. LMAO he was so embarrassed :eek: :eek:
I will never forget that poor mans face as he was passing around condoms .. it was priceless..

Chemistry was fun even if we did mess around .. i even remember how to light a bunsen burner . and what litmus paper was used for
Biology was good disecting rats and cows hearts and letting all the locusts out of their tank :) took ages to catch them again hopped everywhere :D

I cant remember much about physics ,, think it was pretty boring :p
 
Joined
Dec 5, 2006
Messages
32,642
PCG342 said:
Rats?
We got fresh deer hearts, fetal pigs, and cats!
poor little rats ;)
they didnt do anything wrong :)
even had 2 as pets at one time .. used to sit on my shoulder as i was dusting :)
 
Joined
Dec 5, 2006
Messages
32,642
tomlunt said:
I think a lot of how much you enjoy those classes has to do with the teacher. I had a great physics teacher in high school - he loved hands on experiments, etc. I learned a lot from him - and actually even remember a thing or two now (20 years later).

TL
I can remember their faces and some names but not all of them

Remebered that my headmistress commited suicide by walking into the sea .. not long after i joined the school..
nice lady she was :eek:
 

PCG342

Banned
Joined
Jan 8, 2006
Messages
772
Not long after you joined?
I wonder if there's a connection... :p
Sorry, had to do it.
My Physics teacher was great... he loved making bad [inappropriate] jokes, particularly about killing cats. Also, his favorite color was "student-blood red"
I actually liked Physics, and I HATE math. Well, I was terrible at Physics, anyway...
But, Blackmirror, I've got a question: were you even able to do anything with the rats' brains?
Earlier classes used to dissect sharks, I'm jealous...
 
Joined
Dec 5, 2006
Messages
32,642
I dont remember brain surgery just cutting them open and then spreading them on a board lol and pinning them open lol
Gross
a lot of girls fainted let me tell you
 

PCG342

Banned
Joined
Jan 8, 2006
Messages
772
Not a single person in our class fainted. Though the teacher did advise the girls against wearing skirts when leaning over a lab table, if that's worth anything... :p
We literally took the cats apart, including removing the brain. It's easy to cut too deep into the skull....
when you're using power tools...
It was sort of cool, a few were pregnant. Mine had a broken back and ribs, and lots of bruising.
The pigs were just freaky, we had to give them tracheotomies....
 
Joined
Dec 5, 2006
Messages
32,642
PCG342 said:
Not a single person in our class fainted. Though the teacher did advise the girls against wearing skirts when leaning over a lab table, if that's worth anything... :p
We literally took the cats apart, including removing the brain. It's easy to cut too deep into the skull....
when you're using power tools...
It was sort of cool, a few were pregnant. Mine had a broken back and ribs, and lots of bruising.
The pigs were just freaky, we had to give them tracheotomies....
That was a little bit too much information lol
 

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Top