1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Pic with transparent backgroud-how?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by CTPhil, Jan 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. CTPhil

CTPhil Thread Starter

I'd like to figure out how to put together an image with transparent background. I've been starting with a transparent rectangle, inserting a smaller image, and adding text so that the background shows through it, and save it as one image. (.gif). So far no matter what program I try, the background isn't transparent in the end. I feel like I'm missing something obvious.

I've tried Adobe Elements 2.0, Ulead Photo Impact, MS Publisher, Irfanview, PhotoFiltre, and more. This seems like it should be easy, but I'm stumped! :confused:

What am I missing? Thanks in advance.

2. buck52

buck52 Banned

What is the final save as file... must be gif or png for the transparency to save

this is a gif with a text layer... Paint Shop Pro v7 works the same for any of them

buck

Attached Files:

3. D0C_Hol1d@y

[email protected]

Don't know all of those programs you just mentioned. I do know Elements. I use Photoshop and ImageReady for transparent gifs. Try in Elements to save for the web not save as "save for the web" and follow the instructions there. See if there is a transparency option somewhere when your saving. That's the best I can do for you. I hope it helps.

4. CTPhil

CTPhil Thread Starter

I've been trying as a .gif, as I know .jpeg won't support the transparency. Buck, the picture you posted is basically what I want, but for me the background is white, not transparent. (I tried inserting it on a colored background).

DOC, I'll try the save for web thing.

5. buck52

buck52 Banned

another try...

Attached Files:

6. CTPhil

CTPhil Thread Starter

That one has a transparent background, Buck.:)

I've d/l'd Paint Shop Pro v7, I'll install it later tonight a give it a go.

7. hewee

hewee

Note that png for the transparency is great but if you post the image on the web IE does not see the transparency on .png.

8. CTPhil

CTPhil Thread Starter

So...Basically, to make an image like Buck's, you have to learn to work with layers, right?

9. buck52

buck52 Banned

it sure makes it easier...

the basics of layers are quite easy to learn... like most other graphics things they can be as complex as you would like

buck

10. CTPhil

CTPhil Thread Starter

Okay then, I need to buckle down and learn to work with layers. :rolleyes: Thanks for putting me on the right track.:)

11. finwood

finwood

Do it the easy way. The MS Photo Editor will set a transparent color. Tools > Set transparent color.

12. CTPhil

CTPhil Thread Starter

Can you elaborate? I'm not sure what you're referring to with MS Photo Editor.

13. finwood

finwood

There is a program in Windows called Windows Picture and Fax Viewer. I have my pictures to open with this program. It's quick and easy to view, print, and do some simple editing of pictures without going to all of the trouble of opening PSP. At the bottom of the Viewer is a button that will take you to the Windows Photo Editor. I mainly use it for resizing pictures before putting them on my web site. But, I have used it when I needed to make a transparent gif.

14. CTPhil

CTPhil Thread Starter

Thanks, I'll look at that.

15. bkpeck

bkpeck

Why won't my Photo Editor open when I click on it???

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!