1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Picking a CPU speed ????

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by fubart, Jul 25, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. fubart

fubart Thread Starter

Ordering a Dell for my son and myself-- we're enthusiastic but not gone-to-hell gamers.

Question-- Dell offers various P4 processor speeds: 2.0, 2.26, 2.4, and 2.53 (the last 3 have a higher system bus speed). Is more always significantly better? Does faster buy greater system longevity? Is the higher bus speed alone worth pricing up for?

Considering the 2.26Ghz just because its the first with a higher bus and its in the middle.

**** People here at Tech Support have given me good insights on sound cards/video cards..... much thanks!

2. Rockn

Rockn

In general the higher bus speed is to support the fater CPU...the bus speed is the clock sppd that runs the processor. More is only better if you are looking to upgrade the processor in the future and if the motherboard will even support a faster processor. Faster means more heat now days and heat is a bad thing in a PC...if the CPU fan fails you have a toasted processor. Faster is good in terms of processing and running more applications and more complicated games, but it has it's downside in heat, power consumption and cost. Just ask yourself what you really need to do your day to day stuff and buy based on that. I have only now upgraded to an AMD XP 1800 from my PI 233MHz system that did everything I needed it to do. I am only now upgrading to keep up with office apps and other technologies....very few games.

3. CPU_Polizei

CPU_Polizei

I'd say go with the 2.0 GHz, with the new Front Side Bus. a 2.0GHz P4 is plenty adequate for any gaming you wanna do, wether it be demanding or light. It will also last a long time and it's in the same motherboard that would come with the 2.26 and the 2.53 so it will be just as upgradable as those other ones in the far future.

The key is making sure you get a P4 with the A or B designation. These have twice as much "cache" as the old P4's and are signifigantly faster. I believe Dell did out with most of the old P4's and they were pretty much available only under 2GHz. All the ones with the new 533 Front Side Bus are B versions. So your fine with any of those. If you go below 2 GHz, just make sure it has either the "A" designation, or says "512kb L2 cache".

As long as you get an A or B version, anything 1.8GHz or above will be plenty sufficient for all your needs. If you plan on doing some light gaming, the real thing to worry about for that is more the video card, rather then the processor, since every processor this day is "way" overpowered.

4. wedor

wedor

If you look carefully you will notice that the systems increase in price on a curve depending on the CPU speed. The curve gets more drastic after a certain speed, in other words the price increase becomes dramatic for the small speed increase. I like to buy just before the curve, you get the biggest bang for your buck that way.

5. carltasha

carltasha

even heavy gameing doesent need the high end cpu that you can buy today , and because the components are so far behind the prossesers , fsb is first to think about for upgrades , and highend vidio cards make the game . but you wont do well in fast games without 512 megs of ram . dissagree if you know what you are talking about but my games mostly require 512 , they can run on a one gig Tbird just fine but the want the ddram and plenty of it. also the 512 lvl cash is a must ,,reconsider buying Dell , they are using propryitary components and using afganeys for support , i hear they are very hard to understand ,

6. NormaJean

NormaJean

Ya i mean you can run just about any game with 900Mhz processor, its the RAM and the Video card that you need.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/88607

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice