1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

picking a graphics card

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by piscian18, Feb 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. piscian18

piscian18 Thread Starter

dear techguys

i just got a+core cert'd so please don't think me full of it
    when i ask the big dumb question

Whats with all these [email protected]^$$ graphics cards?

after shopping and reading review after review for weeks i broke down and bought a pny ti4200 64mb card just to test . circuit city has kickess return policy . my god!! all my games run flawlessly at the highest res. 1074x724x 32 (this being cheapest of medium class cards) . i mean gta3 , ut2k3 , mafia and morrowind by "games" . so what the heck do i need the rest of these crazy 300 and 400 dollar cards for ? are there super games i don't know about ? i ask this in all seriousness because i've heard the big wup about fx and 9700 and just don't get it
    so anyway i'm thinking of settling for a msi ti4200 128mb
    any comments? , anybody got a favorite? (any particular reason?):confused:

home specs

amd 1700+
    asus nforce 220-d 4x agp
    256 drr pc2100 generic
    20gig maxtor (old)

2. JSanguancheu

JSanguancheu

LOL.. To be honest, I'm not sure what the big deal is either. Most of todays games are way way behind what the leading edge cards can do.

I've got a GF2 MX400 w 64mb and am quite happy playing GTA3 and Max Payne.

Aside from bragging rights, I think the big exspensive cards may be useful for online type games like Quake3 and such.

I don't know..It's like having a 3Ghz+ CPU.. Can you really tell the difference between it and a 2Ghz cpu in normal use?? nah..

go figure..

:cool:

3. slipe

slipe

State of the art games have settings you can use that exceed the capabilities of all but the priciest cards. There are people who will pay 20 grand for a stereo amplifier because they can hear the difference. There are people who will pay $400 for a video card because they can see the difference using the highest refresh rate and detail in their games. I wouldn’t do either, but I’m not arrogant enough to tell them they don’t know what they are doing.

4. vboccio

vboccio

First I must say welcome to the A+ certification Club. I guess I am one of those fools that bought a Radeon 9700 pro from crucial. The reason I bought it is becasue I was building a new system that will last ne for svereal yers and I had the extra cash so why not by the best. The cards abilties are not being used right now but, in the near future when the new games arrive your processor will need all the help it can get from the graphics card. Yes, the card far exceeds what you need if you don't play games on your PC but, if you do you will be wishing that you had the Radeon 9700 in your PC. Do you remember when people used to say wow you have a !0GB hard drive you will never need more than that 10 GB will last a lifetime. Now most of us have a 80GB hard drive or larger in our PC and MIcrosoft found a way to use up as much as possible on those hard drives. The same will happen with graphics cards.

5. safegezaaa

safegezaaa

let me add my 2 cents....

1 year ago I upgraded my GF2 MX 400 64Mb to a GF 4 Ti4400 128 MB - I saw a little jump in frames per second and better resolutions. 2 weeks ago I upgraded my 4400 to an ATI Radeon 9700 Pro - (wasn't expecting to see a big difference) Boy was I wrong. I can now play games at 1600x1200 (sometimes higher) and everything maxed out. Things look soooo good. I'm actually seeing details in games that I did not see with my 4400. (it runs a lot smoother too!)
    Now the big question.. Would I pay $400 for a video card......?
    Hell NO! - The only reaseon I got the 9700 is because ATI screwed up with a friend and sent him 2 replacements for 1 card and he sold it to me for $200. I sold my 4400 for $150 so I paid $50 for a kick-a$$ card.

like I said...just my 2 cents..!

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/119461

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice