1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Picking new motherboard

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by melissalynne7, Nov 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. melissalynne7

melissalynne7 Thread Starter

I want to install a new video card on my computer. I picked out one that needs a PCI-e port and I have a AGP port. So, I need a new motherboard. I don't know anything about how to pick the right one. The one installed now is a VIA and the model number is P4X266-8233. The only thing that I do know is that I need one that is compatible with a Pentium 4 processor.

Thanks in advance for the help...and let me know if you need anymore specs on my machine.

Melissa

2. ChRoNo16

ChRoNo16

I need to know what socket you need for processor, 478 or 775.

I will go with the more common, 478 and find a couple of boards for you

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    A new motherboard may require a complete system upgrade. Are you prepared to spend that much money? OR do you just want to exchange the video card for an AGP model?

Socket 478 is obsolete and does not support PCI-Express unless maybe there's some weird oddball motherboard.

4. ChRoNo16

ChRoNo16

Yeah I havent found any good ones...... It all really depends on what shes doing, if she wants to get into gaming, she needs to upgrade anyways, otherwise as you said, get an AGP version...

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Well there's still lots of nice AGP cards out, including the new ATI Radeon X1950 in AGP.

6. win2kpro

win2kpro

If you are considering re-using the processor you need to identify exactly which Pentium 4 processor you have. You can download and install this small Intel program which will identify the processor. There were 3 different Pentium 4 processors, socket 423, socket 478 and socket 775.

http://support.intel.com/support/processors/tools/piu/sb/CS-014921.htm

7. melissalynne7

melissalynne7 Thread Starter

Its a 478. I open up the case and SOYO SY-P4VSA was printed across the mobo. I use the computer for gaming and wanted the PCI-e for its speed. I don't mind spending some money to speed it up but don't want to get into something over my head.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/517736

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice