1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Picking up outside networks

Discussion in 'Networking' started by grantmg, Jul 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. grantmg

grantmg Thread Starter

ANYONE HAVE THE NETGEAR Wireless USB adapter, WG121?
    It seems to work better than the Linksys one, WUSB54G.
    My complex provides wireless internet around the property. I've picked up more access points in my complex with the Netgear and actually had a slight temporary signal with it for a while. I got NADA with the Linksys unit.
    What drove me insane was that, using the Netgear, I finally placed the adapter to where I picked up an access point without WEP and got above 90% signal rate showing in the Utility. BUT, it never connected to it. I tried to save the profile and manually connect over and over, but the Utility kept scanning all the channels. I'm dying to get this to work and are there any tricks? What am I missing?

2. Old Rich

Old Rich

That access point may be using MAC filtering . . you can "see" the WAP, but cannot connect to it unless your MAC is included in the WAP Filter list

3. grantmg

grantmg Thread Starter

Sounds like I need to find the neighbor that has the router and slip them a 20 spot. lol

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Sounds like you need to take this discussion elsewhere. While it might be fun it's illegal to connect to somebody else's network without their permission. And if they give you their permission, if that includes internet access, they'll almost definitely be in violation of their ISP agreement.

5. Alan18

Alan18

There just having some fun.

Just wait up a bit.

Alan

6. grantmg

grantmg Thread Starter

My COMPLEX is supplying the all residents with a wireless access point and they annouced it just last month that it's a free service. I'm just trying to connect it but who knows what SSID name they gave it. Relaaaaaaax

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    So ask them for the SSID. And then if it's giving you no or a weak signal let them know. They may have blind spot(s) they don't know about.

I have a Netgear USB wireless adaptor WG111. Assuming the WG121 utility is similar, it should help you connect pretty easily. Check Netgear's web site to make sure you have their latest driver and utility.

Get your complex's info and then let us know what happens if you still have trouble connecting. For example, sometimes it says it's connecting, but then sits trying to "acquire network address" and fails.

8. grantmg

grantmg Thread Starter

I finally connect to it tonight. The only problem was that the signal was weak so the utility was jumping back and forth between B & G mode. This was preventing me from doing just about anything on the net. I manually set it to stay in wireless G mode and I'm surfing but are there any other tricks to help sustain a signal? I heard that setting the preamble to LONG might help.

9. Rockn

Rockn

It is not ILLEGAL, it is however unethical. But, if they are foolish or ignorant enough to leave an open wirelss connection they get what they deserve.

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I don't know of any additional methods to deal with a weak signal. But I encourage you again to let your complex know that your signal is weak and ask if they can do anything about it. I don't know how big your complex is, but surely they have to use multiple antenas and/or access points to serve everybody, and it may take only a small adjustment to serve you better.

11. redcivic

redcivic

Not related but funny anyway.

My Boss is from the DR. She just built a beautiful house there that she visits for a couple months out of the year. She does'nt want to pay for DSL when she is only there a couple months out of the year yet she needs a fast internet connection so she view the camera's, etc. here at the office. Well, she called me when she got there last week all excited that her thinkpad had connected to a unsecured wireless access point in the neighborhood. Well, it lasted a week. She was all bummed when she had to use her dial-up account to email me. I wonder how they found out? Since she is viewing streaming video cameras I bet she was eating up the poor guys bandwidth huh?

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/377482

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice