1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[PICS] TrueCrypted hard drive moved to alternate PC, causes BSOD during boot

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MurderSheWrote, Jul 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MurderSheWrote

MurderSheWrote Thread Starter

My DV9000's motherboard died a few months ago, and I was finally able to find a cheap replacement that is virtually identical. I have placed my hard drive into this computer, and tried to boot.

My hard drive is encrypted with TrueCrypt, and it prompts for the password in the BIOS environment before Windows can boot. This part works fine, so the TrueCrypt boot loader does not seem to be corrupted.

But as soon as I enter the password and hit enter, it shows the Windows dialog of "Windows failed to start. It may be due to a hardware change" (similar to the screen seen at boot up when you'd shut down the PC improperly). When I select the "Start Windows normally" option, it shows the Windows 7 screen for about 3 seconds, then it freezes, then BSOD, then restart.

From my online searching, I've figured that it must have something to do with driver conflicts. Is it just the hard drive driver causing the problem? Does anyone have any idea how this can be resolved, if at all?

Thanks very much in advance.

Relevant screenshots (sorry for poor quality):

1. TC Boot Loader (on my hard drive) prompt is shown, password entered, shows "Booting..."

2. "Windows Error Recovery" screen shows, offering options of "Launch Start Repair" or "Start Windows Normally".

3. When "Start Windows Normally" is selected, the Windows 7 boot logo begins, and then freezes after about 3 seconds.

4. BSOD appears, with the relevant text illustrated.

5. Computer restarts automatically.

Attached Files:

2. black-wolf

black-wolf

"Virtually identical"???
    You are probably going to need to do a clean windows install if you have changed mobo's. If your windows disc is OEM it is tied to your original mobo and you would need to purchase a new copy.

3. MurderSheWrote

MurderSheWrote Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply, but I've resolved the issue. Formatted secondary partition and installed Win7 to it, and then from the unaffected Windows environment was able to download and install TC, mount my unbootable encrypted drive, extract and transfer/save all my files from it, then reconfigure my original configuration.

4. black-wolf

black-wolf

Glad you got it figured out. Thanks for letting us know.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1063370

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice