1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

pics wont load

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by bigmike302, Feb 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigmike302

bigmike302 Thread Starter

I just moved to a area that dont have DSL, or cable so im now stuck on a slow 25k dial up connection. For some reason now alot of times i only get half a jpeg when they load from a site. I tried several settings in internet Explorer tools tab under advanced tab but i always still get the same. Some pics will only load halfway =(

does anyone have a idea whats doing this?
    Crappy connection or is it a setting on my end?
    any help would be great thanx

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

I don't think there are any registry tweaks you can do in XP for this, and if you see any recommended I would highly suggest you can multiple confirmations of their value before trying them -- particularly if it involves running any software to optimize.

You're right, the dial-up speed could be a factor. You really should contact the phone company and see if there is anything they can do to improve the phone lines. Sometimes noise is a factor and can be eliminated. You should also try to reduce the number of other appliances such as answering machines that may on the same line that connects the computer to the wall outlet.

One thing to do is make sure you have enough room in your Temporary Internet Cache and delete the contents from time to time.

You can also use XPs Task Manager (do a ctrl-alt-del) to monitor the connection. Under the Networking tab you will see what percent of the available bandwith is being used at any given time.

Finally, you should ensure you have as "clean" a system as possible. Many folks find they have hidden programs that are installed without their knowledge (commonly known as adware and spybots) which consume bandwith.

You can use the application Spybot to detect and remove most of these. Accept all updates before running except for the PGP and Language tools.

http://tomcoyote.org/SPYBOT/

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/117655

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice