1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Picture File Type?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by philip1519, Sep 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. philip1519

philip1519 Thread Starter

Lately I have been getting a lot of squares with red x's in them where I should be seeing graphics and pictures. I thought that I had pretty up to date software and that when this happened I was probably viewing out of date web sights or email. Now I think that another file type must be getting more popular since it happens more and more often.

Any ideas on what I might be missing? How to aquire it?

2. xgerryx

xgerryx

What is your OS, Windows 98,ME,XP? and Browser, Internet Explorer? Had you made any changes just before this started happening.

3. bobol

bobol

clear out your temp folders, and browser temp cache might help.

4. mike5532g

mike5532g

5. philip1519

I haven't been around for a couple of days, so here are the answers to your questions. My os is xp and I suppose that I started seeing more red x's after installing PC-Cillin and then SP-2. I'm using IE-6( I think) and it doesn't happen all the time but enough to make me feel like I might be missing something. I always empty the temp folders via the disc cleanup utility. What's next? Changing settings in security. How do you know when to stop?

6. Dust Sailor

Dust Sailor

I had the same problem a while back and followed all the solutions available on this forum Nothing seemed to work . I started to use Mozilla Firefox for another reason and noticed the problem had cleared up . I also use Mozilla Thunderbird E mail program now as well . This does not work for everyone but has helped some . Good Luck

7. philip1519

Did I mention that the problem is almost entirely manifested when reading email. When I get newsletters, for instance, they are all text and no pictures. I Don't want to change to Mozilla and I paid good money for PC-Cillin. There has got to be a solution that doesn't involve dumping everything that I've got. I probably need to adjust some security settings. Does anyone feel like walking me through it? I should mention that the sp2 installation has somehow turned off some of my PC-Cillin security and that I would like to have it back. I don't know if the sp2 internet security is better, but, like I said, I paid good money for the other.

8. mike5532g

mike5532g

What are you using for Email?

9. philip1519

Outlook Express

10. mike5532g

mike5532g

11. philip1519

that seems to have worked. Now I wonder if I can turn on the PC-Cillin internet security which seemed to be working fine before the sp2 install? Also thank you very much for the solution.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!