1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Picture too darn big

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by steigerhouse, Dec 3, 2019 at 9:48 PM.

Advertisement
  1. steigerhouse

steigerhouse Thread Starter

I just upgraded my computer. On my prior setup, my computer had two video outputs, HDMI and monitor. I had my large screen TV connected to HDMI and my monitor connected to (you guessed it) monitor. This worked fine. Both displays were recognized by the computer and I could show videos or picture files on the TV when I wanted to. The new computer only had an HDMI connection, so I acquired an HDMI splitter and connected the TV and the monitor through the splitter to the computer. The monitor works well. The TV displays a picture that is so large that you can only see about 1/4 of the picture. I can't find a way to adjust the picture size. The computer is only recognizing the monitor. It does not "see" the TV. Any help would be appreciated.

2. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522

What do you mean by "monitor" port. There's no such port name.

Need the make/model of splitter. If you mean an actual port splitter....that's not going to work. You need a port adapter. I can't tell you what port adapter you need as you describe the PC port as 'monitor". No clue what that means.

This is how I would set it up. Use the HDMI cable to connect the TV to PC. Then on the monitor; it should have one of these types of ports.....VGA (blue), DVI (white), HDMI and/or DP which stands for display port. Then get the correct cable to connect monitor to PC.

3. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Are you sure the new computer only has a single HDMI output and no other type of Graphics output connector ?
    What make and model is it ? Laptop or Desktop ?
    If Desktop and it's not a big name brand like Dell or HP what Graphics card and Motherboard does it have ?

4. steigerhouse

steigerhouse Thread Starter

OK. Maybe I was a little to unspecific with my first post. My previous computer had an HDMI video output and a VGI video output. The new one only has a single HDMI video output. So I bought an HDMI splitter. It has one IN port and 4 OUT ports. It has its own power supply. So I connected my computer monitor to one of the outputs from the splitter and the TV to another output. The graphic presentation on the computer monitor is just fine. But the graphic presentation on the TV is so large that only about 1/4 of the picture will fit on the screen. It starts at the top left corner and shows the upper left part of what is on the monitor screen. I went into the computer settings to try and resize the picture to the TV but unlike on my old computer where I could choose either display under the settings for using multiple video components, I only see the monitor. The computer is not recognizing the TV as a separate component. The new computer is a Dell Inspirion and my TV is a Samsung plasma 3D capable.

5. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522

What is the service tag number of the Dell? Post a picture of the back of PC where all the ports are and a picture of the ports on the TV.

6. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    That is because you are splitting a single HDMI source on the computer rather than using two separate HDMI sources on the computer. The splitter is most likely configured so that when the computer attempts to read any monitor information from its HDMI output, it will only see the configuration data for the monitor connected to a single specific HDMI output on the splitter. The video controller in the computer has no way of knowing about the TV.

EDIT: I have never heard of VGI video connectors. I have worked with VGA and DVI connectors.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1236596

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice