1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Pictures as red X's

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by samrem, Sep 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. samrem

samrem Thread Starter

What can I do to display pictures sent to me that show up as little red X's in the upper left hand corner of where I think the picture should be displayed.

I'm running W98, Zonealarm Pro, Spysweeper, Norton.

Thanx

2. samrem

samrem Thread Starter

What can I do to display pictures sent to me that show up as little red X's in the upper left hand corner of where I think the picture should be displayed.

I'm running W98, Zonealarm Pro, Spysweeper, Norton.

Thanx

3. brindle

brindle

what browser and mail are you using? IE,outlook, outlook express

4. samrem

samrem Thread Starter

Outlook Express 6.0

5. brindle

brindle

Red X's Appear Where The Image Should Be

When you open an Email in Outlook Express, the images may appear as red X's. Try the following links.

Web Page Displays an Image As a Red X or Not at All [283807]
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=283807

Image May Not Appear in Message Received with Outlook Express: [246186]
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=246186

Image May Not Appear in Message Sent with Outlook Express: [171908]
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=171908

OLEXP: Images in E-Mail Messages Are Missing After You Apply Stationery: [256974]
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=256974

Some types of images don't display [Tom Koch MS-MVP]
    http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/problems/bugs.htm#nopreview

SYMPTOMS
    When you open a Web page, one or more pictures (graphics or images) may not be displayed. Instead, a red X, or a placeholder, may appear in place of the images.

CAUSE
    This behavior can occur if one of the following conditions is true:

The Web page includes an image type that is not supported by Internet Explorer.
    The Show Pictures check box is not selected on the Advanced tab of the Internet Options dialog box, or the Toggle Images.exe Web accessory was used to disable images in Internet Explorer.

RESOLUTION
    To troubleshoot this issue, follow these steps. After each step, check to see if the issue is resolved. If the issue still occurs, continue troubleshooting with the next step:

Right-click the red X or placeholder for the image, and then click Properties. Verify that the image type is supported by Internet Explorer by examining the Type or Address (URL) values in the Properties dialog box. For example, a Graphics Interchange Format (GIF) file will list GIF Image for Type and the Address (URL) ends with .gif. Internet Explorer displays images with an .art, .wmf, .emf, .png, .mov, .xbm, .avi, .mpg, .gif, .jpg, .mpeg, and .bmp extensions.

Start Internet Explorer.
    If you have the Toggle Images.exe Web accessory installed, click the Toggle Images.exe link on the Links toolbar to turn on images.

Verify that Show Pictures has not been turned off in Internet Explorer:
    On the Tools menu, click Internet Options.
    Click the Advanced tab, and then verify that the Show Pictures check box is selected under Multimedia.
    Click OK.

Make sure scripting, ActiveX controls, cookies, and Java applets are enabled in Internet Explorer. To do so, follow these steps:
    Click the Security tab, and then click Default Level (if it is available) for the zone which contains the Web page (for example, Internet).

If you are using Internet Explorer 6, click the Privacy tab, and then click Default (if it is available).
    If you are using a third-party Internet security, firewall, or cookie blocking program, contact the manufacturer of the program for information about how to enable scripting, ActiveX controls, cookies, Java applets, advertisements, and HTTP referral information.

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nip.nsf/docid/2001021911022836

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nip.nsf/docid/2000031311301136

If you access the Internet through a local area network (LAN), contact the administrator of your LAN to verify that scripting, ActiveX controls, cookies, Java applets, advertisements, and HTTP referral information are not blocked by a firewall or other security features on the network.

Start Internet Explorer.
    On the View menu, point to Encoding. If a check does not appear next to Auto-Select, click Auto-Select.
    On the View menu, point to Encoding, and then click the appropriate language for the Web page that you are trying to view. For example, if the Web page is in English (United States), click Western European (ISO) or Western European (Windows). If the required language is not available on the View menu, follow these steps to add it:
    Click Languages, and then click Add.
    Click the appropriate language, and then click OK.

If the problem is not resolved, a file or registry key required to display the Web page with the appropriate character set may be missing or damaged. To resolve this problem, restore Windows from a complete system backup or reinstall (or repair) Windows. If you are running Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition or Microsoft Windows XP, you may be able to resolve this issue without restoring or reinstalling Windows by using the System Restore utility to return your computer to a previous working state, For additional information about how to use System Restore in Windows Millennium Edition, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

267951 Description of the System Restore Utility in Windows Millennium Edition
    For additional information about how to use System Restore in Windows XP, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

306084 HOW TO: Restore the Operating System to a Previous State in Windows XP
    Note that in some cases you may also be able to resolve this problem by manually editing the registry. For example, if the28591 String value is missing from the following registry key, a Web page that is encoded for the Western European (ISO) code page might not display any images:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Nls\CodePage
    The value for this registry key should be set to the name of the appropriate code page file in your Windows\System or Windows\System32 folder. For the Western European (ISO) code page, this value should be either Cp_28591.nls (Windows 98, Windows Millennium Edition) or C_28591.NLS (Windows NT 4.0, Windows 2000, Windows XP).

6. samrem

samrem Thread Starter

Well, Brindle, right clicking on the X did not yield a "properties" item on the menu. I think that the image is jpeg in at least one instance. The "View " menu does not have an "Autoselect" displayed. Encoding is "Western European"Security is "Internet Zone" and Both "Security" and "Privacy" have been reset to "Default".

Will I have to have another sent to me to test; it seems that the red X came INSTEAD of the picture?

7. brindle

brindle

It sounds to me as if you need to go back and work through the steps as outlined. After each fix send yourself an e-mail with a jpeg file attached.

8. samrem

samrem Thread Starter

Thanx for staying with me. I gotta go now to a golf league season-ending "affair". I hope to be able to get back to this (and you, if you can) later this week.

Thanks again and may you get more than your share of sunshine.

samrem

9. myrc60

myrc60

I have the same problem and will be watching for more info. I went as far as the step before restoring windows. Hoping to solve problem before it comes to that.

10. samrem

samrem Thread Starter

Yeah, I did the same and still have the problem. Sure don't wanna go thru to the end....especially since I'm not so sure that would fix it anyway. Maybe someone will come on who has not only had the problem, but has solved it another way.

11. brindle

brindle

This is an old problem that most have experienced at one time or another, including myself.
    This is the only fix I am aware of and has always worked, not only for me but others. Sorry you are having problems with it, and yes if someone else has a drive through fix I'd like to add that one to my files.
    Or did I miss read your thread, has happened before?

12. myrc60

myrc60

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is weird. The email I received the bad images in won't load the images no matter what I do. But if I send myself a image, I see it. Does this mean something is wrong on the sender's end and not mine (the receiver)?

13. Dust Sailor

Dust Sailor

I had that problem and tried all the solutions brought forward on this forum Nothing seemed to work . I Then decided to try a different browser for other reasons and surprisingly it cleared up the problem . I now use Mozilla Firefox for a browser . I also use Mozilla Thunderbird for an E mail program . Cant tell you why it works for me but it does . It apparently does not work for all who try it either but it is worth a try . Good Luck

14. samrem

samrem Thread Starter

Sounds like I'll have to do a full backup and windows reinstall. Will the reinstall keep the updates downloaded from MSN? If that doesn't work then it may mean a different browser.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/273481

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice