Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pictures Not Opening - Format Error

3K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  kenbok51 
#1 ·
Hi! I like to do art on the computer.

I have a few programs that I use for different things. Sketchbook, Photoshop, GIMP, and Krita.

I don't know what I did..

Whenever I save/download a file, from anywhere, it saves as a Sketchbook file. (Like how you have files specifically formatted for that program).

I've tried resetting through my art folder in Pictures, all the .png, .jpg, .jpeg, etc Default Programs are for Windows Viewers.

I have also tried switching from "Sketchbook" to "All Files" and then saving as "ReferencePhoto.jpg" But then if I try to open it in any other program (like Krita, Photoshop, or GIMP), it says "Cannot Open File: Parsing Error."

I don't know what to ask Google so I don't know how to look for answers, but I've tried through the forums and FAQs for Sketchbook and Krita, and Windows forums.

Help please.

x

See less See more
#2 ·
Have you ever tried converting a non-sketchbook file to sketchbook using your browsers download engine? If so it's probably stuck in the converter mode. I can't imagine a browser downloading in a different file extension for any other reason. Have you tried renaming the files extension to what was originally present when you downloaded the file. If a JPG or PNG has an incorrect extension added to it it may not be recognized.

#4 ·
Usually in the default installation of a windows OS there are a few settings you can change to make things more identifiable. If in your Tools > Folder Options you don't remove the check mark for hiding file extensions for know files types, your files will not show extensions making them hard to determine exactly what they are. The Save As file saving choice should give you the opportunity to save as a different file type than the original but that usually only works in applications like photoshop etc. not from a browser. Using Save As is almost a necessity there, since using just Save will overwrite your original file which is not a good idea when your editing a photo. So when you say your downloads are being saved as Sketchbook files there must be a Sketchbook extension attached to the file no? So they would not have jpg or png but whatever Sketchbook uses instead. What I meant by changing the extension was to highlight the Sketchbook extension and replace it with .jpg then try to open it.

#7 ·
If your downloading sketchbook files and not other file types (perhaps from a page with sketchbooks examples) then you need to open them with sketchbook and hopefully Sketchbook will have the ability to save them or export them as another type.
https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-forum/sketchbook-pro/td-p/4501637
When you installed sketchbook it may have stolen all your file associations and that's why it automatically tries opening all files you download. If that's the case you need to reset your file associations in the options of one of your other applications. You can always uninstall sketchbook and reinstall your favorite application (photoshop?) and it will re assign your associations. Then install sketchbook again but be careful not to assign any associations. Or even simpler just re install photoshop and it will take back the file associations automatically. Otherwise you will have to do each file type one at a time with a right click "open with" and browse to the correct programs exe. I don't know what else to tell you, sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.