1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Pictures on Web show up at times as a small red X

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by dsljohn, Sep 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dsljohn

dsljohn Thread Starter

I have this problem sometimes while trying to view either ads that were emailed to me, or sometimes, but not often, in emails I receive from people, and I am assuming that it is a photo or graphic.
    I have XP Home on an HP computer, and my wife has the same problem, only much more often on her home built XP home computer.
    I am assuming that it is perhaps a security setting or an active x setting that is keeping us both from viewing the graphic or photo.
    When it appears, it is in the upper left of the photo, a small box with a small red x in it.
    Thanks for your help in resolving this matter.

2. TooBad

TooBad

I believe that it is either an ActiveX problem or the wrong version of Java. When I encountered a similar problem with ActiveX, I had to re-install Win2k Pro.

3. Claymore

Claymore

4. moonlightandrose

moonlightandrose

When we tried to insert a jpg into a mass email using outlook express (for example, an ad we created for a magazine), in our test, the receiver only saw a red x inside a little box.
    We tried reducing the dpi from 300 to 200 to 100 to 72 thinking it might be too big, but it didn't help.
    Yet, when we inserted a regular photo into an email, the receiver could view the photo without any difficulty.
    What do we need to do to be able to email our ad to perspective new customers??
    our system is windows xp, version 2002
    thanks for your help-

5. Claymore

Claymore

OK, if the ad is a .jpg image I would suggest the following tests:

1. E-mail the image to yourself.

2. E-mail the image to yourself along with another .jpg image.

3. E-mail the image from your ISP's web mail online page (most of them have this).

4. E-mail the image from another computer with Outlook Express.

5. E-mail the image from a Hotmail, Yahoo, or gmail account - if you have one.

If all of these fail, the problem is with the ad image itself.

6. moonlightandrose

moonlightandrose

In trying to insert a jpg ad into a mass email, where our test email receiver could not view the image, we neglected to mention that before sending, outlook express flashed the following :
    "One or more of the pictures in this message could not be found. When you send this message, these pictures will not be included. Are you sure you want to send this message?"
    We then went into tools, options, security tab, and unclicked "block images" in outlook express, but it did not make a difference, as we tried to follow your suggestions about emailing the same image to myself, along w/another jpg, to hotmail, yahoo, etc etc.
    now what???

7. Claymore

Claymore

OK.
    In Options => Send tab => Mail sending format is the HTML radio button selected? And under HTML Settings button, is 'Send pictures with messages' also checked?

8. moonlightandrose

moonlightandrose

Hi Claymore,
    Thank you so much for getting back to us. We tried all of your suggestions in options, etc and they are all selected/
    checked.
    For some reason, outlook is not recognizing this jpg, yet it will recognize a photo jpg.
    Sorry to keep bugging you, but in these economically challenging times, we are trying to keep business coming in.
    Regards,
    Robin @ Moonlight

9. Claymore

Claymore

There isn't any audio associated with this file, is there?
    Can you attach the ad to your next post so we can have a look at it?
    Thanks

10. moonlightandrose

moonlightandrose

Hi Claymore,
    No audio attached to this. It is an ad we ran in a magazine that we wanted to send out to potential new customers. Please find attached.
    Thanks
    Robin

Attached Files:

11. Claymore

Claymore

Hello Robin,

Just a quick note. I downloaded the image and sent it to another address with both the sender and the receiver using Outlook Express. It went fine. I had also converted it from .bmp to j.pg and back and forth and had no trouble.
    So I'll have to think on that it has to be something at your end. Did you try sending the picture with something other than Outlook Express, to check that it's with your Outlook Express setup somehow, although I think you said you could send other images from Outlook Express, just not this one. Have you tried moving the ad to another folder and tried attaching to an e-mail from that folder?

12. moonlightandrose

moonlightandrose

hi claymore,
    ok, we had no trouble attaching the image to an outgoing aol email to our outlook express, but we have been trying to insert the image in an outlook email so that when the customer opens the email, the image appears. . if we attached the image, our potential customers would be more likely to delete the whole email and never see what we're about. . . it's all about the image...
    with all the setting checks, i can't figure out why we can't make this happen
    -robin

13. Claymore

Claymore

Hello again,

I was getting confused. I think you attached your question into anther person's thread. Also, what you're trying to do is call "embedding" an image.

This site will explain it all, with other options. The last paragraph explains how to do what you want in Outlook Express.

http://www.felgall.com/brsgen15.htm

14. moonlightandrose

moonlightandrose

that is exactly what we have been trying to do from the beginning, insert or embed our image into the body of the outlook express email.
    when we followed the instructions and checked off "send pictures w/message" then selected the picture and inserted it into the body that red x kept appearing.. . without any other image.
    that's as far as we get each time.
    i even tried getting the file from another folder but it doesn't seem to make a difference.
    it's so frustrating.
    -robin

15. Claymore

Claymore

In the Create Message window => Format - is 'Send pictures with message' checked?

I'm running out of ideas. I'll have to think some more. I was getting confused earlier because I thought you were the original poster on this thread.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/752479

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice