1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PIN code of router instead of WEP password

Discussion in 'Networking' started by brunces, Nov 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. brunces

brunces Thread Starter

Friends,

After I had installed Windows 7 on my computer, I tried to connect to my home network. I always do this and it always asks me for my WEP password. This time, something very strange happened. It asked me for the PIN code of my router. Until then, I had never seen such a thing. I confess I didn't even know this PIN code existed. Then, I reached my router (Belkin Wireless G Router), found the code on its back and typed it on Windows. Cool! It worked fine and now it is OK, I mean, it has already saved the password - automatically - and every time I start up Windows, it gets connected instantly.

My doubt is: this has never happened before, so what happened now? Why did Windows ask me for this PIN code instead of my usual WEP password? Is there any configuration I should do to avoid this and get it back to asking me for my WEP password?

I have not tried to connect to any other network yet, so I do not know if this happened only here, at home.

Thank you very much for your attention.

brunces

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

This is WiFi Protected Access, which is an alternative way to easily configure your wireless. It's standard for Win7 and newer routers. If your router supports it, it asks for the PIN instead of the key.

FWIW, I'd use at least WPA, and preferable WPA2-AES encryption, WEP is easily cracked.

3. brunces

brunces Thread Starter

Very good. Thank you very much, JohnWill. :)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/876984