1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Ping and hostnames issue

Discussion in 'Networking' started by evo6gsr, Jul 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. evo6gsr

evo6gsr Thread Starter

Hi,

My current setup is this.

PC A = Domain controller. 2 nics (bridged) and adsl connected via usb.
    PC B = 1 nic
    PC C = 1 nic

PC A has a ip of 192.168.0.1/255.255.0.0
    PC B has a ip of 192.168.1.1/255.255.0.0 - DHCP
    PC C has a ip of 192.168.1.2/255.255.0.0 - DHCP

PC A is the domain controller and also serves as a DNS and DHCP server running win2k3. PC B and C are running winxp.

I have a few problems which ive just noticed.

Firstly, PC C always joins the domain with the first charchter of the hostname being capitalised...why?

Secondly, all machies can ping each other, but if i ping PC A from PC B, and then try pinging PC B form PC A it suddenyl stops communicating (cannot find the host - times out).

Thirdly, if i ping PC C from PC B it pings fine, but does not display the FQDN only the netbios name.

I have tried to re-register the DNS server as well as checking firewall rules etc. One thing i have realised is that i have not entered the domain name as the primary DNS suffix on the client pc's. I am currently at work and will do this when i have the chance. But apart from this what else could be the problem?

Thankyou for your help,

2. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

Can you provide IPCONFIG /all for these PC's I am thinking I know PART of the problem.

I am guessing you have a setup like this - Wall - modem - Server PC - Switch - other 2 PC's

When you say hostname are you reffering to what you see in Netbios or what is Physically typed into the computername field of the OS? Where are you seeing this first charachter always captialized?

This one I am unclear about do you have the same symptoms from A to C? Also if you get this error and you do a ping from B to C is that okay (at the time its erroring out to the other PC?). If this is the case it could be something going on with the dual interface setup you have in the Server PC.

I am betting the DHCP on your Server PC is giving out your ISP DNS information.... Since your running on a somain you want your server PC to give its internal IP address to the clients as their ONLY DNS server and then you want to setup in the DNS a forwader from the DNS server to the ISP's IP addresses.

The logical link should look like this -

Internet - ISP DNS servers - Server PC with forwarders programs that have the ISP DNS servers - PC's hitting the servers DNS.

This way the resolution is a chain - PC tries to resolve a name to the server it hits the server and that it. if it tries to hit an internet name it then it first tries the local server since the local server does not know it forwards to the ISP where the ISP resolves it and sends it back down the line.

3. onsite

onsite

Dude go buy a router, it will make life, much, much more simple.:p

4. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

Even a router won't fix the domain DNS issue.

5. evo6gsr

evo6gsr Thread Starter

Thanks for your replies.

This is what appears as the computername. For example "client1" appears as "Client1" and it will refuse to let me add the computer to the domain will lowercase charachters.

What happens is this. Machine A can ping B and vice versa. But as soon as i ping A from B and them immediatley try pinging B from A (opposite) it fails. It's as if its trying to ping from the wrong interface or something similiar.

I have currently setup my network in the way you have described, i.e. dns of isp and then by adding a forwarder etc etc

I agree that it will be easier to use a router but i want to use this setup as a experiment and find out why it is doing this.

Regards,

6. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Is there a techincal reason why you have two different IP schemes.

7. onsite

onsite

Do you have any firewalls, also pc a is not on the same network as the others

8. evo6gsr

evo6gsr Thread Starter

The only reason why i have a subnet is to have differentiate between servers and clients. Server being on the 192.168.0.* network and client on the 192.168.1.* network.

Firewall rules have been checked and are ok, ive even tried disabling the firewall.

But the strange thing is, that everything works fine until i ping the server from PC B, then communication stops from server to PC B....strange!!!!! even more so, the server can always ping PC C.

Currently, the only thing i can think of is that i have not added the primary DNS suffix on the client pc's so that it becomes a FQDN. would this affect ping behaviour?

9. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Is there any technical reason for using different IP schemes?

As a test, what happens if you use the same IP scheme for all computers. Then you can also use a 255.255.255.0 subnet mask.

10. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

DNS has nothing to do with ping. If your pinging by IP only then your not utilizing DNS at all.

11. evo6gsr

evo6gsr Thread Starter

Theres no technical reason to using a different ip scheme, just a design thing.

At the moment im thinking that the 2 nics in the server (bridged) is causing this issue. It seems that its no communicating back to PC B on the correct interface????

Any more ideas?

12. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

It could be but then the question is why is C unaffected through it all?

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/483095

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice