1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Ping setting on router

Discussion in 'Networking' started by fredman, Feb 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. fredman

fredman Thread Starter

Is there a reason one should NOT check the box 'do not return Pings' on a Netgear Cable/DSL Router ?

2. Del

Del

What model Netgear do you have?

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

The only thing that does is not answer a ping to your external IP address. I leave it on, since I occasionally want to have someone ping the address externally. Also, the ISP may want to ping you to verify you are there. I don't think it's much of a security risk to allow pings, as long as your firewall is functional.

4. fredman

fredman Thread Starter

It's an RP614, my cable modem is going into it, and from the router it goes to my Server.
    wall-cable modem - router - server, to one NIC card in the Server, and on another NIC card in my server I have a 5 port switch with multiple workstations going into that.

I was looking for anything else I could do to keep hackers out, but yes, I know if someone REALLY wants in they will get in.

I was also looking at the checkbox that would return a user-specified IP address other than the real one, don't know if I should play with that, put in Google's IP or something....

I also know if I have problems I would need to change stuff back to 'normal' in order to run diagnostics, that isn't a problem.

5. Del

Del

That's the same netgear I have with DSL.
    Just let the defaults on and also have a software firewall.
    Went to a couple sites to test for leaks and security problems and got stealth.. everything seemed fine, never had any problems.

6. fredman

fredman Thread Starter

Del, what sites did you go to ? What is 'stealth' ?

Anything out there to avoid, in your opinion ?

7. Del

Del

I use grc.com
    http://grc.com/default.htm
    Go down the page, there is a shields up that will test part of your firewall and security and a leak test that will test the rest.
    I'm sure there are other sites out there that do the same, but all the techs I know use this one.

I run the Netgear Router, use Zero Knowledge - Freedom 3.2 for a software firewall and run my-etrust anti virus.
    Never have had a problem.:p

8. gkimble

gkimble Account Disabled

Here is the ideal setup for home Cable/DSL users: Linksys firewall/router with the latest firmware, enable XP's firewall and install norton firewall.

9. JohnWill

Bad idea to have multiple software firewalls running on the same machine. If you're going to use Norton, you should disable the XP firewall.

10. gkimble

gkimble Account Disabled

Really ? Could you explain to me how they would affect each other ? I'm curious to know. Thanks johnwill.

11. Del

Del

I don't use Norton, I use Zero Knowledge Freedom firewall. On the XP partition, I didn't turn off the built in firewall cause it seemed useless anyway and never had a problem.
    I've had customers call that used XP with Norton, Zone Alarm or McAfee and no problems.
    Now, I would not use McAfee and Norton or Norton and ZA.
    Try going to grc.com and test the shields with just XP, you'll look like swill cheese.

12. JohnWill

My one experience with dual firewalls was with Norton and XP's built-in firewall, and the user was experiencing difficulties with his Intranet, though the Internet was seemingly working fine. Disabling the XP firewall solved his problem, and since Norton was blocking all the proper ports, it seemed redundant anyway.

13. cinci_matt

cinci_matt

Norton is a great product, but just like McAfee, it doesn't like to play with other software that might step on its toes (XP's firewall, ZA, etc.)

One piece of hardware, one piece of software and AV should have you sealed up pretty tight, if someone REALLY wants to get in-they will, if not- they'll find someone else to pick on.

14. fredman

fredman Thread Starter

But you are assuming one is using XP, my Server is Windows 2000 Server, my workstations are Windows 98SE and also Windows 2000 Professional.
    I am currently working on a Red Hat Linux 7.2 Server......

15. gkimble

gkimble Account Disabled

Unless you have something really valuble, you buy stuff from the net or are a sicko, you don't really need to get all stressed out on security for your computer. What's the worst that could happen if you are not one of the people I aformentioned ? Take 30 minutes and reinstall Windows ?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/116988

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice