Ping Spikes every 30 seconds on the dot

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

TheGamingSponge

So, as far as technology goes, I'm pretty clueless. I'm alright at using it for day-to-day activities, but I know very little about how any of it really works. Because of this, I am really unsure why my wifi is acting up. It could be a very simple computer problem or a problem with the ISP, I haven't the faintest idea.

So, the problem is that every 30 seconds my ping instantly spikes up between 150ms-600ms, and then slowly drops back down to normal. It doesn't sound too bad, but the annoyance is, the instant ping spike makes the game freeze for up to 3 seconds, so effectively every 30 seconds I can't control my game for 5 seconds, which is extremely frustrating.

I have done a tiny bit of research on this but ultimately gave up. A few threads on other websites mentioned interfering technology but I'm not sure if it's actually this, because the ISP I'm using provides two networks - normal and "5G". 5G runs on a different frequency and is pretty much solely purposed to prevent other interferences... But this doesn't change a thing.

Additionally, I'm not sure if this problem lies in my computer's connection to my router or my router's connection to the server I'm connecting to, which is typically rather close (approximately 550km).

So yeah. That's the problem and all information I perceive to be relevant to it. I'm happy to supply more information. My life would become a whole lot less annoying if I could finally play the online games that I have previously spent thousands of hours on, so thanks very much anyone who decides to help :D.

EDIT: A few other things I saw mentioned stuff about Windows, but I'm using a Mac.

This can happen if you are using cable or satelite, instead of DSL or fibre for your Internet connection. Call tech support for your ISP and ask them to profile your connection.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

VisualRoute Lite is a free utility that will show you all of the "hops" between your PC and the website you want to check.
http://www.visualroute.com/download.html
Get it, run it, point it at your website, and watch.
The hop from zero to one is your Mac to your router. After that, all of the rest are outside your house. If the spikes in responses are in your house, you'll know it. If they are outside your house, its a real b*tch to get them to fix their problem; but, if you scream loud enough, they will (usually), actually fix it.

TheGamingSponge

Hello everyone, something peculiar happened. DavisMcCarn, you say that the problems should be occurring outside my house, but I just connected myself to the Ethernet and found no problems. My ping, as you said, was lowered by 0-1 ms, but I was not having the spikes. Does that mean the problem lies in my connection to my router?

Couriant

James
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
So to recap, you have this issue while on wireless and not on Ethernet?

Was the pings within your game or somewhere else?

I am not on my computer but in the top right search for wifi inspector and usually the first couple of hits will have a link to a program called Xirrus Wifi Inspector. You will need to ill in some information to download it but once you do it can show us your vicinity of wireless networks that may be interfering.

Also, follow the directions in the post on how to do screenshots.

Please forgive spelling and misworded errors. My phone likes to autocorrect a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It , most probably does and; unfortunately, there are far better tools available for Windows than for OS X.
If you can login to the router, try changing the WiFi channel to 1 or 11 and see if it gets better. I have over 12 WiFi's to choose from here in my shop and recently discovered that a nearby school was stomping on my wireless (it's called interference). Changing the WiFi channel took care of that.
I don't know if the OS X utility updates on a regular basis so you may need to close and rerun it for testing; but, if your connection speed changes all of the time, you probably also have something blocking the WiFi. It is a radio signal and TV sets, metal ductwork, appliances, and several other things in the path between the router and your PC will block the WiFi.
http://osxdaily.com/2014/04/02/find-wi-fi-connection-speed-link-mac/

Do you know if your wifi adapter and router support 802.11ac connections? I had an issue similar to this a while back and I set the 5.0GHz band to use 802.11ac only (and left the 2.4GHz band using 802.11b/g/n) and stuck to using th 5.0GHz network for my gaming PC. This fixed my packet loss (which is a usual cause of lag spikes over wireless connection) and my ping went down to 64 from somewhere in the 90s

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online