1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Ping test failed - response: DHCP server but no response: default gateway

Discussion in 'Networking' started by AmyElizabeth, Jan 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. AmyElizabeth

AmyElizabeth Thread Starter

Hi,
    I have been having problems with internet in new flat for some time!
    It connects to the wireless box and has full signal but an exclamation mark is present
    I have run some tests and the IPv4 and IPv6 say they have no internet access
    I also run a full test and everything passed except the ping test which failed and it said:
    no response:default gateway
    response: dhcp server

it suggested disabling security firewall but i'm not sure if that's the correct thing to do or even how to do that!
    Any help would be much appreciated
    Many thanks
    Amy

2. nikomaster

nikomaster

How is you PC connected to the network?
    Does it uses an intermediary router to your ISP?

3. AmyElizabeth

it's wirelessly connected, there is a central router in the building which is 4 stories high and then in the basement flat we have two routers as well. I'm not sure if that is what you mean but I hope that answers the question!

4. nikomaster

nikomaster

You are getting the exclamation mark symbol because apparently the router you are connected to, has no access to internet.
    Which is the local IP address assigned to your problematic computer?
    It usually starts with a 192.168.x.x
    or 176.16.x.x
    or 10.x.x.x

to know this, type this on Run
    cmd
    ipconfig

5. AmyElizabeth

It says the Wireless LAN adapter Wireless network connection
    default gateway : 192.168.0.1

it might also be worth mentioning that the 2 routers we have in the basement one i can connect to but it has weak signal at the back of the house so we used another router at the back of the house that is under a different "network name" but I can't connect through this one. However, it is unlikely to be something to do with that router as my other flatmate can connect to it perfectly and gets great signal from it but I can't seem to connect which makes it seem like something on my computer is wrong!

6. nikomaster

nikomaster

Ok, let me get this straight. You own all these routers, you can connect to all them but still you can't get any internet signal.

Which of there routers get the internet signal from your ISP?

7. AmyElizabeth

One of the one in the basements was here when we moved in, but the other one my friend bought from home and plugged in and it gave her computer full signal in the back of the house when she couldn't connect to the router that came with the flat, however my computer won't connect to the one she bought at all. The one that was here originally I have no problems with it is just the other one. Also it is WPA-PSK is the security type for the one that doesn't work but WPA2-PSK for the one that does work... could that be relevant?

8. nikomaster

nikomaster

I think the problem is the router you have problems to connect with. Try to restart the rooter.
    Unplug it for 30 seconds and plug it back.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1087256

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice